Re: Which Jaws 8 to download?

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 00:26:41 -0600

hi. Ok, let me make my answer a little more clear here, sorry for the confusion! Ok, when you go to the fs website, you are always going to be downloading a version of JAWS with all the recent updates to it applied to it. so if you download and install it,and check for updates under the help menu, you'll be told no updates are available, since, at that time, you have the most recent updates. So, let's say that an update becomes available for JJAWS. In that case, going to the help menu and choosing the check for updates option will show you a list of updates available for JAWS and, here's the important part y'all. All it'll do is download the updates on your system that are necessary. So, in other words, the only thing that will be downloaded when you check for updates under the help menu are those updates themselves. Think of it like this. When microsoft puts out updates, the only thing you have to download are those updates and Windows is then up-to-date. it's the exact same thing with JAWS, the only things that will be downloaded when you do the check for updates thing are those particular updates you don't have. and each update is pretty small, i've seen updates that are anywhere from 1 mb to 5 mb, so they aren't that big. I hope this clears it up.

At 04:14 PM 1/24/2007, you wrote:
Hi, Chris.

You're answering a different question from the one asked. The one I replied to was whether the full JAWS 8 program must be downloaded when updating. The answer, as you confirm, is yes. However, it occurred to me that FS might send only the updates, and not the full program, when responding to the JAWS help updates option. The question goes to problems some listers have with downloading large files. Your answers deal with an entirely separate matter, albeit one that has vexed this list.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Skarstad" <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>

Hi folks

Ok, let's clear things up.
At 02:46 PM 1/24/2007, you wrote:
On the FS website, I could find only full download links.

This is correct. the only difference between the 2 links is the way in which the program is downloaded. the first one is ftp, file transfer protocall, and the second one, http is a different method of downloading the program.

So there is absolutely no difference in the program that is actually downloaded, it's just the way that it's done. some people may not be able to access the ftp link, so fs offers a separate http method of downloading the program.

Back to the e-mail...

Perhaps someone could report what happens when you download via the update link in the JAWS help menu.

It does exactly what it says.
the program goes out onto the fs update server and checks to see if any updates are available for JAWS. if any are available and you don't have them installed you will have the opportunity to download and install them then. After that, you'll be asked to reboot your computer, after which, you will be up-to-date. Keep in mind that this only works under windows xp. You 98 folks will have to download and use JAWS 7.10. or better yet, update your operating system.

Hope this helps.