Re: What is the likelyhood of me getting a new Key Disk from F.S.?

  • From: "Greg Epley" <gregepley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 08:29:36 -0500

I had something similar happen early on with my limited experience with JAWS
and Norton Antivirus.  Fortunately all I lost was one key, which I later got
back when another problem brought my key count below 2; FS provided an auth
string and I got my 5 keys back.

I would call them, explain the situation in a calm but concerned voice, and
hopefully they will agree to replace the diskette.  If you feel or realize
that they're not going to do that, ask to speak to a supervisor.  FS
shouldn't argue with you over this nor should they charge you to replace the
diskette.  FS inherited this auth scheme, is my understanding, but I've
never felt this was a good way to protect software.  Too much chance of the
diskette going bad and then one has all these problems.  I can't suggest a
better way they could have done it because it's not my software product, I'm
just saying this is just one example of how bad a protection scheme it is
when it causes these sorts of problems for users or support personnel that
must put up with it.  I hope things go well and FS just replaces the
diskette at no charge and moves on.
-Greg Epley