Re: Watching TV Online

  • From: Scott Berry <scott@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 21:38:16 -0600

Hi Dave,

Here is what my set up is here:

I have a Sony Vaio Desktop with a flppy drive and memory card readers and
all the good stuff.  On the back of my pc a card sticks out with a few
jacks this is the tv tuner.  I simply plug in my set top box which may be
either digital cable, cable or satellite.  Then I set this computer which
runs Windows Xp Mce (Media Center Edition) to the Media Center.  Now here
is where it really gets trick cause Jaws doesn't read this stuff too
well.  Next I go in to the right application key and hit settings.  In this
dialog I find the settings for my tv tuning wizard which simply searches
for a tv signal of some sort just so it can get an idea of whether my set
top box is working properly.  Then I next choose United States as my
region.  The next step is difficult for a visually impaired person because
of the way that the infred remote transceiver is set up.  I had to have my
father set this up for  me.  You have to teach the computer better yet
(Windows Xp Mce) to read your remote for your cable, digital cable,
satellite box.  There were two complications here:  First of all you have
two infrared monitors which have set up in such way that the set top box
can see them.  It is wise to set them about an 1 1/2 in. apart making sure
to point them directly at the set box at an angle be sure to use double
sided sticky tape to keep them in place.  Now all the fun!  Setting up the
remote was a challenge because first of all the computer reads the remote
sensor of the set box and the remote sensor from the set top box must point
at the infrared transceiver for the computer.  Now this takes approximately
10 to 15 minutes and you have to identify twice.  Then mI had to chose how
to change the channel my suggestion is to call your satellite or cable
provider and ask them exactly how your remote works in other words does
your remote have an enter and some people will say sure all remote do but
this is not true in my experience.  Then you are finished except for the
guide.  Now keep in mind that sighted assistance was need through all of
this because Jaws worked horribly through this and there is no sense in
Jaws not working so Freedom Scientific get your thinking cap on and take a
look at a Sony Vaio 920G.  Then we go in to the guide the guide is where
you record and look at what shows are on.  There are other things such as
burning Dved's and seeing program information.  I first had to tell
Microsoft I lived in the United States and also had to agree to their
Online Euila.  Then I put in my zip code and it brings up choices for me in
my case since I live in Minnesota I had to chose Duluth Direct Tv.  Then it
takes approximately about 45 minutes to download the guide with dial
up.  Then I edit the channels according to what I want and start
recording.  But I want to make a point that in the guide you must go by tv
channels and as you arrow to the right it is divided in to times and shows
but the times don't read so you have to do some hit and miss sho0oting.  If
any one has more questions about this please feel free to contact me off list.