RE: Wasted Keyboard Real Estate

  • From: "Bissett, Tom" <tom.bissett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:35:55 -0400

Hi,  FS is using the layered keymethod for MSN Instant Messenger You can take a
look.
I don't know how one can get around the problem of FS introducing keystrokes
one assigned for their own functions.  But it certainly opens up all kinds of
posibilities.
Tom Bisset
From: "Marquette, Ed" <Ed.Marquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: "jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:53:18 -0500
Subject: Wasted Keyboard Real Estate

This may be more a philosophical question than anything else, but
it has been bugging me.  So, I've set aside (for the moment)
other pressing matters to see if anyone else sees this the way I
do.
Somewhere in JAWS development someone came up with the idea of a
kind of key sequence as contrasted with key combinations.  I'm
not talking about a "mode" switch such as JAWS key plus Z to turn
on the quick keys in MS Word.  Rather, I'm talking about the JAWS
key in combination with the spacebar followed by R, in the case
of Research It, or S, in the case of synthesizer silence.
Actually, those appear to be the only two keys that ever follow
the JAWS key plus spacebar combination.  It just seems like a ton
of keyboard real estate opens up with this key sequence.  Do you
suppose Freedom Scientific plans to add more keys?  Would there
be a way for JAWS script writers to use this key sequence to
enable all sorts of new functionality without having to come up
with new, even more wrist straining, knuckle cracking twisted key
combinations?
I can think of dozens of nifty uses for keys to follow the JAWS
key plus spacebar starter keystroke.  It just seems that Freedom
Scientific is wasting the other 24 alphabetic keys, not to
mention the numbers, and the alphabetic keys in combination with
shift, alt, and control and so on.
The two commands that Freedom Scientific has assigned to follow
the JAWS key plus spacebar don't really logically relate to each
other at all either.
OK.  I'll get back on my couch now and talk to my shrink and
leave you all alone.

ANY FEDERAL TAX ADVICE CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE SHOULD NOT BE
USED OR REFERRED TO IN THE PROMOTING, MARKETING OR
RECOMMENDING OF ANY ENTITY, INVESTMENT PLAN OR ARRANGEMENT, AND
SUCH ADVICE IS NOT INTENDED OR WRITTEN TO BE USED,
AND CANNOT BE USED, BY A TAXPAYER FOR THE PURPOSE OF AVOIDING
PENALTIES UNDER THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE.
This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the
named recipient(s) above and may contain information
that is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected
by applicable law.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and
delete this E-mail message.
Thank you.
subject line.

If you have any concerns about the list, post received from the
list, or the way the list is being run, do not post them to the
list.  Rather contact the list owner at jfw-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx