RE: Want to contact person selling jaws XPPpro disk

  • From: "Edward Marquette" <emarquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 19:23:56 -0600

This has been an amusing thread.
Clearly, there is confusion between the tangible item, the disk or CD
and the copyright with respect to the content thereon.
In the absence of agreement to the contrary, when a disk is sold, the
buyer, like the buyer of a book, has the right to sell to another.  That
item of tangible property belongs to the purchaser.
What one does with the content is entirely different.  Loading the
content, copyrighted software, involves a reproduction.  In fact, every
time the software is executed, there is a reproduction.
The Copyright Law grants the copyright holder the exclusive right, among
other things, to make reproductions of his/her copyrighted work.
The only reproduction (and, hence, use) rights one gets are by
permission only.  The scope of that permission is governed by the terms
of the license agreement.
Thus, it may be perfectly appropriate for one to "sell" the disk.  The
legal problem arises when the user attempts to load, reproduce, the
software.
The analysis, however, does not stop here.  When one knowingly transfers
copyrighted material to another and, in so doing, enables that other
person to infringe the rights of the copyright holder, then the person
knowingly assisting the infringer may be guilty of contributory
infringement, even if he/she is not a direct infringer.  In fact, that
was the demise of Napster; it was a contributory infringer.
The foregoing assumed that there were no contractual restrictions on the
transfer.  Depending upon the Federal Circuit in which you live (federal
law is not uniform on this subject), even your right to transfer the
physical disk could be limited.
Thus, before undertaking either a sale or a purchase of second-hand
software, always check the terms of the license.

Ed Marquette
930 West 34th St.
Kansas City, MO 64111
(816) 561- 7111