RE: Vista, speech input and jaws

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 08:44:16 -0500

I know something about each of them, and both unfortunately, don't work
well  with screen readers.  There are dialogs and prompts and the like
that they display when they don't understand what you said, and you
normally don't hear those without some add-on like j-say, which only
works with Dragon.

There is an add-on for the vista one, from the folks who make j-say, and
it's called J-Vist, but it's very limited in what it does; it's not
nearly so powerful as J-say.  Still, the vista speech recognition is
free, J-vist is low-cost, and you could call the makers of J-vist and
speak with them to hear their opinions of what will work for you using
it, and what won't.

There's an optional product, from MS, to download to accompany the Vista
speech recognition.  It's called windows speech recognition macros, and
you'll need it, and you will need to learn to use it, in order for vista
to approach the power and flexibility of Dragon.

Still, someone did tell me that Dragon had dramaticly lowered it's
prices due to the competition from Vista; maybe the folks who make J-say
have also done that.

In my opinion it's a lot of trouble to use speech recognition, and even
a lot more for a blind person; I really doubt someone with a little
carpal tunnel is going to go through it or spend the money.  Only
someone with almost incapacitating carpal tunnel, or who has little hand
mobility, will do all that needs doing, unless you've got an unusual
situation which requires hands-free use of the pc.

I play with the vista speech recognition as a hobby, and I've put out an
example macro which ties it to window eyes to show how they can be made
to work together.  If money is a problem, and you own window eyes, I
think you could make windows vista speech recognition and the optional
macros package work with window eyes if you spent some time learning
each of their macros packages.

If you don't own window eyes, contact the folks who make j-say to see
what their pricing is, and what version of Dragon they recommend you
have (I seem to recall it's only the $99 version if you own J-say).

hth,

Chip

Chip Orange
Database Administrator