RE: Vista and jaws

  • From: "DJ" <grouloc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 19:38:18 -0400

Many people have been saying for months now that Microsoft would be stopping
sales of their Windows XP operating system on June 30, 2008. Obviously, that
day has come and gone and unfortunately, Microsoft kept their promise. Some
of you may have heard rumors about them extending XP's retail life, but
Microsoft senior vice president Bill Veghte confirmed they have stopped
shipments to retailers and manufacturers alike.

While you will no longer be able to buy a licensed copy of Windows XP,
Microsoft is still allowing all computer makers to sell their computers with
Windows XP pre-installed. Even the largest companies have this option. Also,
several manufacturers (including Dell and HP) will continue to sell the XP
operating system as a downgrade option from Windows Vista. Veghte himself
even said that was a good option for computer users. You can still use XP on
a new PC if you need it and you can then switch over to Vista when you're
ready.

Microsoft is also aware that major retailers will need to sell all of their
XP inventory before it's actually shut off for good. So, if you're lucky,
you might find a couple copies still lying around for the next few weeks.
All in all, Veghte also wanted to remind everyone that you will still be
able to receive XP support until April 14, 2009 and extended support until
April 8, 2014. Yes, it's sad to see Windows XP go, but it's good to know you
still have a few options when it comes to getting your hands on a copy. Just
giving you a heads up!