Re: Using two sound cards

  • From: "dennis" <dennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:04:49 -0600

here  yuh go dood.
      Bulletin Type: FAQ
      Product Name: JAWS for Windows
      Version: 4.51
      Category: Synthesizers
      Question:
      I have two sound cards on my computer. How do I make sure JAWS uses
the
      one I want?
      Answer:
      Many JAWS users who also use music or audio production software want
JAWS
      and Eloquence to speak through one sound card, while using the other
for
      their production work. To do this, you need to edit a file called
JFW.ini
      and install the updated Eloquence Speech driver in the accompanying
zip
      file.

      Editing the jfw.ini file:

      1. Using My Computer or Windows Explorer, browse your hard drive to
the
      currently running version of JAWS and find the jfw.ini file in that
      folder.

      2. Press ENTER to open.

      3. You should find some lines that read:

      Synth1Name=eloq

      Synth1LongName=Eloquence for JAWS

      Synth1Driver=eloq

      The number doesn't matter, it may be 1, 2, or 3, but it must be the
same
      for all entries for Eloquence.

      4. Add the following line after the driver line: Synth1Port=SB Live!
Wave
      Device Of course, you need to make sure that the synth number matches
the
      other lines, so that if the Driver line read:

      Sytn3Driver=eloq

      Then the port line would read:

      Synth3Port=SB Live! Wave Device

      The text after the = sign in the Port line comes from Control
Panel/Sound
      & Multimedia/Audio tab It must be one of the entries that can be
chosen
      for Preferred Playback device.

      5. Save your changes and exit Notepad.

      Now you must install the updated driver.As long as JAWS is running and
      speaking through Eloquence, eloq.jls cannot be simply overwritten when
      unzipping the file. You will need to switch to NoSpeech or MS SAPI to
get
      the eloq.jls to overwrite properly.

      1. Download the file from

ftp://ftp.freedomscientific.com/users/hj/private/eloq.zip

2. Unzip the zip file into the root of the active JAWS directory where
you
      made the change to the jfw.ini file.

      3. Restart JAWS and it should now be speaking from the sound card you
      wanted.

      4. If not, make sure the entries are correct in the jfw.ini file and
that
      your sound card is indeed installed correctly. Most audio and music
      production software allows you to select a sound device for it as
well, so
      it can use one sound card while JAWS uses another.

      Search Our Knowledge Base
            Type in the word or phrase without quotation marks to search our
            entire knowledge base:

      Choose this link to use our advanced search options
      Additional Resources:
        User Groups
        International Support
        Product Specific Technical Support Notices and FAQ's
        Documentation
        Contact Options
        Support Forms
        PMA & SMA Info