Re: Unknown Function Call To ismagicrunning

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 03:54:22 -0600

Good point there Bruce. The only thing I'm not sure of is, how those files got there? Like I say, I'm only jusst getting into the *very* basics of modifying script files and such, and it's obvious that for some reason, those files are placed in the user settings folder. In fact, i just checked in my own enu folder under explore JAWS/Explore my settings, and sure enough, i saw many files including default.jsb and default.jss among others. and this is after deleting them just the other day. I wonder if the update routine for JAWS should be able to check the user settings folder and if it finds any copies of those files it could delete them? i know, it's late and I'm probably way off in left field on that one. I just don't want others to have to go through what I did. I just want people's upgrade path to the newest update to be as smooth and painless as possible.

At 02:06 AM 3/3/2007, you wrote:
It's a fair question, Chris, but consider. Your user directory should not be the place where these default configuration files are located. What needs to be fixed is whatever sequence of events caused those files to be there in the first place. It's like expecting a boat engine to automatically shut-down as a failsafe if it is run in the middle of the Sahara.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews
Skype ID: o.canada

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007, Chris Skarstad wrote:

Yes, it would appear that my little problem wasn't so isolated after all. But here's my question, and it may get me in trouble, but oh well. Shouldn't that bug have been squashed during the beta cycle? I mean, with as many people as I've seen have that particular issue, you would certainly think that FS would take steps so that type of thing doesn't happen, or if users reported it happening, they should've fixed it. Maybe my standards are too high, but I find it unacceptable that we should have to delete any files or make any modifications like that just so our screenreader, one of the most important pieces of software we use, should work without any kind of error messages all over the place. If you're a farely new computer user, or if you just don't know what to do, how can you be expected to know how to delete those 2 files like we did? Sure that's where tech support comes in, but what if you write to them and they don't contact you?
you would receive all kinds of error messages and not know how to fix them.

i fully realize that every system is different, and I fully understand that it's not easy for FS to squash bugs on absolutely every system out there. But if it's a wide spread problem, I would like to see them take care of it. In fact, I would really like to see a maintanance release that fixes all kinds of long-standing issues I.e. the loads of empty virtual buffers people are seing, the issue with the s key not going to the same link on a web page, the other focus issues that happen from time to time, stuff like that. Yes, having new features is a nice thing, but what good are those features if the screenreader you're using isn't as reliable as it could be? At this point, i want a screenreader that just works and I don't need all the toys.
Just something to ponder.

At 12:46 AM 3/3/2007, you wrote:
Thanks, Chris, your clear and concise steps worked like well, shall I say, "magic." Let me tell you, it was a real joy eliminating that pesky little nuisance so great post; thanks again!

http://www.eset.com