Re: Uninstalling older Jaws versions

  • From: "Claus Th�gersen" <C.THOEG@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 12:04:05 +0200

Hi,

As one of the last questions the installation program will ask if you want
to remove shared components, if you say yes, some of the files used by all
JAWS versions since v 6 will be uninstalled and any version after 6 will not
run.
There are some other issues with doing this, since the shared components are
updated without the user knowing it if you uninstall version 10 also the
shared components and then install version 9,  you will have the shared
components that is included in the setup file for version 9.

Normally this is not a problem but in a few instances you will see a
diferent behavior.

I have seen such a difference when using the numbers 1 to 6 to jump directly
to a heading at that level, e.g. a heading at level 3 on a webpage. JAWS 10
do not allow you to  to go directly to the first heading 3 if there are
headings on level 2 or 1 before.
This is the version 10 behavior but a friend that uninstalled the shared
components and installed version 9, had this feature I think JAWS should
allow in all versions, because the server component for IE was not updated
to the latest version.

Claus