Re: Unatended Windows Setup Kits

  • From: "Adam Daou" <adam.daou@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:29:51 -0500

Hi Marvin,
I hope you'll find all these setup kits anytime soon, but they will not be
enough. You will need to assess the hardware of the target computers. Does
the college have the driver for each component such as the CD drive, video,
sound, modem, network card, etc? How old are they? New computers will have
hard time with Windows 98. Same applies to old computers when attempting to
install XP. If the teacher at the college is smart, and I guess he is, he
might have taken all these questions into consideration. If not, you can
always do the following:
- prepare a Windows 98 Boot diskette,
- another diskette containing other important files not on the boot floppy
such as edit.x, etc,
- a free DOS Jaws diskette, and a friendly external synthesizer with driver
files, etc,
- find a shareware for hardware component detection that can handle Win 98,
2K,  and XP
- subscribe to driverguide.com to locate known hardware drivers,
- get a generic sound card such as SoundBlaster, a CD drive that has a real
name as well as a driver pre-detected by the Boot diskette, and an external
modem for communications,.if possible.
There's a lot to say about computer hardware and you need to have a working
CD drive in order to install Windows. If the computer BIOS is good enough,
XP might detect your CD drive, but please stay away form NTFS when
portioning.
Take care.
Adam