Re: USB keypads that work with Jaws?

  • From: "Crystal French" <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:54:14 -0500

Hi,
Unfortunately, numeric keypads seem to be changing.

I purchased an IBM Thinkpad a couple of months ago, and, like you, wanted to
use a numeric keypad with it.

I bought a Targus model, never thinking it wouldn't work.

It did not.

Apparently, many of the numeric keypads are adding extra "00" buttons, and,
more importantly are putting an equal on the Enter key.

When I tried to use Jaws 6, some of the commands would work, but some did
not.

I still thought it would be a simple matter to find a so called standard
keypad, but it wasn't.

I located a USB IBM Numeric keypad on ebay, made certain with the seller
that it was a standard keypad, and it works beautifully with the notebook.

The keypad I purchased was brand new, however, it was old stock.

Who could guess that standard numeric keypads are no longer standard numeric
keypads.

Good luck in your search.

Crystal