USB Flash Devices

  • From: "emarquette" <emarquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 06:12:26 -0500

Arianna
I use every day a small (about 2 cigarettes in size) USB flash drive.
There was no software.  It shouldn't be necessary if you are using
Windows XP or Windows 2000.
Windows XP is actually a little friendlier.  When you plug it in, you
get a Windows Explorer-like file listing.  When you remove it, the
computer dings.
In Windows 2000, there is no ding when you plug it in.  To remove,
however, you should access the "safely unplug hardware" option from the
System Tray.
It is pretty simple.  I just access the System tray with JAWS key plus
F-11, choose the "safely remove hardware" option, and hit ENTER through
the prompts.
My flash drive is not as fast as a hard drive, but (for reading) about
10 times faster than a CD and about 6,000 times faster than a floppy
disk.
These things are wonderfully portable, and if you are taking a
presentation somewhere and need a quick back-up for your laptop's files,
you just can't beat one of these things.

Ed Marquette
930 West 34th St.
Kansas City, MO 64111
(816) 561- 7111