Re: The recent j12 update has broken my computer!

  • From: Peter Holdstock <peterholdstock@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2010 15:01:59 +0000

Doing a repair will be difficult if she can't even get to the desktop before it restarts. If you've got sighted assistance you should be getting a menu up when you first turn the computer on (if not press F8 repeatedly until it comes up). Choose to start windows using the last known working configuration and see if that allows you to get in to windows to do the JAWS repair. From that same menu you can also choose to start the computer in safe mode (you won't have speech) then do the jaws repair from within safe mode.

Peter

-----Original Message----- From: Adrian Spratt
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2010 1:37 PM
To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: The recent j12 update has broken my computer!

Kirsten,

As I'm reviewing my notes, I think I've found a simpler way  of performing a
repair. These instructions come from another lister, Chris Skarstad. I've
never had to do a repair, so I'm relying on what other listers have
recommended.

1. go to your start menu.

2. then go to programs.

3. Go to JAWS 12 sub menu, you may need to press j several times to get
there.

4. go to tools sub menu, and then to the uninstall JAWS option. You're not
going to uninstall JAWS, but this is where the repair option is. so press
enter on uninstall JAWS and wait for the screen to come up.

5. you'll get a set of radio buttons. your choices will be modify, repair,
or remove. You'll want to repair JAWS which basically sets it back to the
factory defaults as if it'd never been installed before. After this process
is complete, you'll probably be asked to reboot your computer. when you come
back up you'll have a fresh install of JAWS 12 as if it'd never been
installed before.