Re: The high pitched announcements of Word page numbers and active links

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:16:24 -0800

No, I didn't defeat it, and I've never objected to Jaws speaking my Word
page breaks. I want to know that stuff. True, I'd rather still be able to
see where my pages divided than to have to listen to Jaws about it, but I
can't turn my retinal degeneration on and off with the equivalent of Insert
V. So I'm okay with that.

As for the links announcements, I didn't defeat that, either. It always used
to announce active links and email addresses. All I mind about the feature
in Jaws 9 is that 1. it screams this information in a high-pitched voice
that turns out to be Eloquence Glenn on nitrous oxide gas, and 2. it speaks
"end link," too, which I find useless and stress-inducing beyond my limit of
toleration that I've learned to accept having to listen to a screen reader
day and night in the first place. Enough is enough, already.

But I haven't found a way to turn that off. I've simply figured out that it
was Glenn, gone into individual voices in the Jaws/Options/Voices menu, and
lowered his pitch a few steps so he's not so shrill.