Re: The Optacon wow! good explanation

  • From: "Francis Daniels" <fdaniels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:22:55 -0700

Hi Gary,

Thank you for posting the web site for the New Optacon.  You are right,
though.  I went there hoping, know what I mean?

It's definitely not an Optacon, as far as I can tell from the description.
It uses a megapixel digital camera that images a page at a time, performs
OCR on it, and then reads it aloud.  A braille diaplay will come later.
They want $2950, paid in advance, before they ship.

There's other stuff, but it's not an Optacon.  Sigh.

I appreciate your research, too.  Maybe we can get Deane Blazie off his boat
and revive the device.  But then, he's having too much fun.

Francis