Re: Stay away from JAWS 5.0 and 5.1.

  • From: Bruce Toews <DogRiver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindtech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 18:19:42 -0600 (CST)

You are being overly dramatic here. Yes you had a bad experience, but a couple of gazillion people have installed 5.0 and 5.1 with no ill effects.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, James Dean wrote:

Note: The below message is also being CC'd to the jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx list.

Hi all. I found out something yesterday that I think all JAWS users should be
aware of. If you are thinking of installing JAWS 5.0 or 5.1 on a Windows XP
machine, don't do it! You'll need sighted assistance to fix it like I did. What
happened is that Freedom scientific changed the way JAWS hooks to the screen.
The only way you should try to install JAWS 5.0/5.1 is if you have at least
version 6 of JAWS on your system, and do not remove the shared components. Even
then, I wouldn't recommend it. In order to fix it, buy the way, you have to
either do a system restore or boot the computer in to safe mode and remove the
jhook file. Either way, you have to boot the PC up in to Safe mode because the
computer can't display in normal mode. I don't know if this is true on all
windows systems, but on my Windows XP Service Pack 2 machine it most certainly
was!

James

MSN/Windows Messenger: jamesdean504@xxxxxxxxxxx Skype: Semaj Yahoo: kg4RDF AIM: tootiki

http://us.click.yahoo.com/I258zB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/67folB/TM