RE: Setting up Word x P and Office X p for JAWS 4.5 1 and JAWS 5

  • From: "Edward Marquette" <emarquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 06:33:34 -0600

I have been using Word XP with JFW 4.5 for a long time.  In fact, I was
using Word XP back when I used WindowEyes.  I do not remember exactly
when, but I am sure it was before Windows XP was released.  Someone on
the WindowEyes list attacked me for raising an issue about Word XP just
after G.W. Micro had sent several messages about how the then version of
the product would not work with Windows XP.  The lister had failed to
note that I was referring to Word XP, not Windows XP.  Word XP was
released several months before Windows XP was released.
I had problems with WindowEyes and JFW coexisting.  That was before
everyone agreed on the video chain fix.
I switched to JFW (and it may even have been before 4.5) precisely
because it worked so well with Word XP, being able to read "styles,"
"track changes," "color changes," tables, and font changes reliably --
something my other screen reader could not or would not do.
I now use JFW 4.5 (with the patch) in Word XP quite happily.  In fact, I
went back to 4.5 after FS made such a hash of JFW with version 5.0.  I
know there is now a patch for 5.0, but version 5.0 was so messed up, I
think I am still going to wait for version 5.1.
To get Word XP and JFW 4.5 to work, I did not do anything special, other
than the standard stuff:  Show standard and formatting tool bars on
separate rows, work principally in "Normal" mode, reduce the number of
tool bars (most of the time) to just "standard" and "formatting."
I may have made a couple of other adjustments based on the JFW tutorial,
but they were minor, and I have since loaned the tutorial, so I don't
have it anymore.  I remember there was a great "set-up" section at the
very beginning of he tutorial.  Someone who has listened to it recently
may remember all the settings.

Ed Marquette
930 West 34th St.
Kansas City, MO 64111