Re: Setting spell check

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:15:56 -0800

Sorry to have neglected to mention one thing that may not be known to all:
To launch the spell check in Outlook Express (or Outlook, for that matter),
use the same keystroke as you use in Word:  F7.  you don't have to set it to
trun automatically.

As for the chopped-off sentence fragment below, this is what happens when
you remember to run spell check, but forget to read through your message, as
if spell check had any way of knowing what you were up to.

I'd meant to agree with Jack Lowe's suggestion of using Shift Tab to get
Jaws to speak the word it sees as misspelled in an Outlook Express message.
Don't expect Jaws to read you that word within its context, as it would do
in Word in the same situation.  It will just show the word or maybe the
spell checker's suggestion for a replacement.  But if you Shift Tab into
this field, you can edit it if you like, so it won't matter what the spell
check has put there.  when you're satisfied that you've made your desired
correction in this manner, hit Enter to accept the change and go on.  If
you've misspelled or mistyped something, you'll get a warning noise and a
message dialogue saying that the word you inserted is incorrect and asking
you if you want to use it and go ahead anyway.  In cases where you want to
type exactly what you want to type, and you know that the spell check
doesn't have this word in its dictionary or couldn't possibly understand
what you're up to, just press enter to make it accept the change and go on.

Hope this clarifies.
Daniel.