Setting spell check

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 07:44:19 -0800

To control the spell checker's behavior, open the Spell Check tab in the
Outlook Express Tool/Options menu.

From here, you can control everything that's been discussed in this thread
except for the Jaws focus of the spell check, which Mr.

Here, you can tab through the spell check options and this will clarify a
lot about how the spell check functions.

for instance, you can set the spell checker to run automatically when you
begin to send a new message, or not.  It sounds as if this is how it's set
for a couple of the people who've posted to this thread.  Personally, I keep
this unchecked, because I seldom forget to run spell check, and often I use
it while I'm in the midst of composing a message.  But another user may
prefer to automate the launch of the spell check, and that's where to set
it.

Another example from among the options on this tab is the box you can check
or uncheck about whether or not you want spell check to check not only what
you've written but also the message you're replying to.  Of course, for this
choice to be necessary, you have to have set the option in this tab for
including the previous message in your reply, it goes without saying.

If you set it to ignore previous message, it won't matter where your cursor
happens to be at the time you launch the spell checker; it will simply
proceed to spell check everything you've just written as a new message or
reply, and it will ignore a previous message if a previous message is
beneath your new text.

Finally, an important thing to remember, and this would apply equally to
using the spell check within Word, if you purposefully select text before
you launch the spell checker, it will act only upon the text you've
selected.  Use this any time you want to override the above defaults, in
order to spell check just a portion of your new outgoing email at a time, or
to exclude the previous message from spell check's attention if you haven't
set it in the Options menu to be ignored.

Hope this helps,
Daniel