SetJawsPriorityInXP

  • From: "Captain 357" <Captain357@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:50:01 -0500

  Windows has setup a system controlled hierarchy which is notably called
the Priority System. By increasing a programs priority, the task manager
tells the system
to pay more attention to it, by feeding it RAM and optimizing that program
to use the system cache more efficiently. Lets explore into the wonderful
world
of priorities.

1.) Right click on your taskbar and select TASK MANAGER
2.) Under the Processes pane select a program that you would like sped up.
3.) Now right click, and under Set Priority, set the system priority to
High.

That program will be much faster, and will run more efficiently. Beware, by
setting it to Realtime requires a motherload of RAM (256MB a minimum) and is
really only recommended for duel processor systems. Note,
the system priority won't always be high, it will only be high for the
current session. Meaning, once you restart your computer, all your
priorities will
be set back to its default (most of the time normal). Another hint, is not
to set a system priority, because system managed files will give you an
Access
Denied error.
I tried this on my system and did not notice any change in Jaws performance;
although Jaws 5 is running good on my XP Pro system.  Maybe it will do the
trick for some setups.  If you try the above priority with Jaws and it
helps, this is how you can set your system to load Jaws with high priority
every time it loads:

-Create a new text file in the Jaws50 directory ,but instead of giving it
the .txt extension you name it  JawsPriorityHigh.bat  Or anything you want
.BAT
 Right-click this file and choose 'Edit', you'll see it'll open notepad. Put
this line in:
cmd /c start /High JFW.exe
-Save (make sure you save it as .bat, not as .txt) and close.
Now create a shortcut to this file and place it on your desktop. Every time
you doubleclick this shortcut Jaws will open with priority set to 'high'.
(ofcourse you can also create a batchfile on your desktop, containing the
full path of the app you want to start but the nice thing of creating a
shortcut
is you can give it an icon).

These are all the settings: Realtime, High, AboveNormal, Normal,
BelowNormal, Low.

*Realtime is not recommended unless you have a dual-CPU system!
This will work on the following:
 XP Pro, XP Tablet & XP Home
You have all read this before.  I am providing this only as information and
will not be responsible for anything resulting from this... HTH

David