Services in Windows XP

  • From: "Robert Hebert" <roberthebert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:41:56 -0700

I had many e-mails with various internet sites to try but only one of them
actually worked. One site that looked promising has been temporarily
discontinued and apparently is undergoing reconstruction. I also had an e-mail
for a program that will manage your services posted by a Jaws List user which
could be useful. I next went to the microsoft site and there is just so much
info here and I think for the most part quite technical. I then did a google
search and found a site authored by a guy named Goldring. I have selected some
seemingly quite useful info and quite easy to follow--compared to what's out
there so hope this will provide a starting point. Read down about 40 lines and
description of the various services starts there. I have posted this info to
the
list as I had dozens of requests for the valuable info I thought I had. For a
general sort of list such as this one, I thought the following might be
helpful--Enjoy!

Windows XP Services - By Gene Goldring
beemerworld
beemerworld
../tips
tips/defaultsave
tips/browserspeed
tips/driversbug
tips/volumelabel
tips/maxthrash
tips/tapiinifix
tips/disablefastshutdown
tips/browserspeed
htips/dhcp
tips/dialuppassword
tips/resourcewasters
tips/beepcodes
tips/pcisteering
tips/hosts
tips/maintain
tips/ie5repair
tips/hosts
tips/fastmenu
tips/refloppy
tips/cookjav
tips/contweak
tips/cabletweak
tips/registrybackup
tips/createafolder1
tips/createafolder2
tips/createafolder1
tips/systemproperties
tips/winy2ksplash
tips/olesplash
tips/logonbmp
tips/components
tips/installfonts
tips/thumbnails
tips/addressbar
tips/systemproperties
tips/capturingscreenshots
tips/renamerecyclebin
tips/olesplash
tips/oletitchg
tips/outlookexpress
tips/indent
tips/indent
tips/soundrecorder
tips/soundrecorder
tips/desktopaddressbook

optimize windows xp services

 Windows Y2K and XP came out with a new configurable area. We'll be dealing
with
Windows XP services here. You will find these services in your Start, Programs
menu named, "Administrative Tools". By Default Administrative Tools is not
shown. You will have to enable it by opening Taskbar and Start Menu. Taskbar
and Start Menu is accessible on the Classic Start Menu by clicking on Start,
Settings, Taskbar and Start Menu. On the XP Start Menu you will have to get
into the Control Panel and the Taskbar and Start Menu applet. Put a checkmark
beside, "Display Administrative Tools. Click OK and then click on your Start,
Programs, Administrative Tools and Services.

Note:
Before tweaking your services, you may consider clearing the Event Log to
quickly see what, if anything, has resulted in your adjustments. Do this by
clicking
on Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. Click on the Action tab
and Clear all events.
Another precaution to take is to use a pen and paper to record your changes.
Modify a couple at a time and test your system.

I take no responsibilities for anything that may go wrong if you decide to use
any of the suggested settings on this page. This page is meant for your
information
only.
Have fun and may your resources be with you.

On with the show!

Removal Recommendations For Windows XP Services

Table with 4 columns and 91 rows

Service

Description

Dependencies

Startup Type
Alerter:
Notifies selected users and computers of administrative alerts. If the service
is stopped, programs that use administrative alerts will not receive them.
If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
fail
to start.
*If you are connected to a network, set it to Automatic. This service will
notify your System Administrator of problems occurring within the network which
may aid them in fixing the problem.
Workstation
Disabled
Home user:

Automatic
Networked computer:
Application Layer
      Gateway Service
Provides support for 3rd party protocol plug-ins for Internet Connection
Sharing
and the Internet Connection Firewall.
None
Disabled
Not using XP's firewall or connection sharing:

Automatic
Using XP's firewall or connection sharing:
Application
      Management
Provides software installation services such as Assign, Publish, and Remove.
*Disabling this service may prevent configuration or removal of some software
applications.
None
Manual
All users:
Ati HotKey Poller
*This allows an assortment of ATI hotkeys to be available. ATIMMC requires this
to be in either Manual or Automatic to function. Disable if not needed.
None
Disabled
Automatic Updates
Enables the download and installation of critical Windows updates. If the
service is disabled, the operating system can be manually updated at the
Windows Update
web site.
*I prefer manually updating my system as Microsoft doesn't always know what is
good for my machine. Manual and Automatic update via Windows Update web site
Requires Cryptographic Services to be running.
None
Disabled
Go to
Windows Update Site
often.

Automatic
XP will notify you of available updates.
Background
       Intelligent
            Transfer
                 Service
Uses idle network bandwidth to transfer data.
*If you have disabled "Automatic Updates" service, you won't need this service
running.
e.g.
Your "Automatic Updates" service sends information to Microsoft Windows Update
server about the present patches and fixes you have already installed. The
updater server reports back that you have updates to perform. This is all done
in the background.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Workstation
Disabled
If Auto Updates is disabled.
ClipBook
Enables ClipBook Viewer to store information and share it with remote
computers.
If the service is stopped, ClipBook Viewer will not be able to share information
with remote computers. If this service is disabled, any services that
explicitly
depend on it will fail to start.
*I've had no problems with any application on my computer with having this
service set to Manual. If you are on a network of computers, your system
Administrator
should know if you require this service.
Network DDE
Disabled

Manual
if unsure.
COM+ Event
       System
Supports System Event Notification service (SENS), which provides automatic
distribution of events to subscribing Component Object Model (COM) components.
If the service is stopped, SENS will close and will not be able to provide
logon
and logoff notifications. If this service is disabled, any services that
explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
*Required for System Event Notification. If you disable this service, you will
find DCOM will create an event log noting this service is not running. To
figure out if you need this service running or not, take a peek at your
"X:\Program Files\ComPlus Applications" folder for any COM+ applications
installed
in there. If not, it's probably safe to Disable this service.
*BootVis requires COM+ Event System & Task Scheduler if you want to take
advantage of the system optimization features. Without these services you will
add a couple of seconds to your bootup times. BootVis deals with prefetch
settings and prefetching only occurs at bootup.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled

Manual
if unsure.
Computer
      Browser
Maintains an updated list of computers on the network and supplies this list to
computers designated as browsers. If this service is stopped, this list
will not be updated or maintained. If this service is disabled, any services
that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
*This service is not required by a home computer. you will still be able to
browse your Network workgroup and mapped network shares if disabled.
Server

Workstation
Disabled
Cryptographic
      Services
Provides three management services: Catalogue Database Service, which confirms
the signatures of Windows files; Protected Root Service, which adds and removes
Trusted Root Certification Authority certificates from this computer; and Key
Service, which helps enrol this computer for certificates. If this service
is stopped, these management services will not function properly. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.
*Windows Updates service set to Manual or Automatic will require this service.
Windows Media Player requires this service for some of its features to function.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Automatic
You won't have to remember to turn it on when necessary.

Disabled
Power User setting
DHCP Client
Manages network configuration by registering and updating IP addresses and DNS
names.
*If your Internet Service Provider, (ISP) supplies a Dynamic IP Address when
ever your machine requires a connection to the Net, set this to Automatic.
If your Internet Service Provider, (ISP) has given you a Static IP, you can
disable this service. Test it out and see if you are unsure.
AFD Networking Support Environment

NETBios Over Tcpip

TCP/IP Protocol Driver
Disabled
Static IP address

Automatic
Dynamic IP address
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Maintains links between NTFS files within a computer or across computers in a
network domain.
*e.g.
If I create a file and store it on my computer and then create a shortcut to
the
file and then later on move the file to another computer on the network,
this service tracks the change and lets the shortcut know of the new location.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
Distributed
     Transaction
          Coordinator
Coordinates transactions that span multiple resource managers, such as
databases, message queues, and file systems. If this service is stopped, these
transactions
will not occur. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
depend
on it will fail to start.
*Message Queuing requires this service.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Security Accounts Manager
Disabled
DNS Client
Resolves and caches Domain Name System (DNS) names for this computer. If this
service is stopped, this computer will not be able to resolve DNS names and
locate Active Directory domain controllers. If this service is disabled, any
services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
*Required if using IPSEC. If multiple domains are used within a network, set to
Automatic.
TCP/IP Protocol Driver
Disabled
EPSON Printer Status Agent2
Lets you know when you are running out of ink.
*When you start to run out of ink, can you tell the difference? I can.
None
Disabled
Error Reporting
     Service
Allows error reporting for services and applications running in non-standard
environments.
*This one is up to you. If you get a error while working in one of your
applications, a dialogue box pops up and asks if you would like to tell
Microsoft
your problems. All pertinent information on the error will be logged and sent
Microsoft. Waste of my time if you ask me.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
Event Log
Enables event log messages issued by Windows-based programs and components to
be
viewed in Event Viewer. This service cannot be stopped.
None
Automatic
Fast User Switching
     Compatibility
Provides management for applications that require assistance in a multiple user
environment.
Terminal Services
Automatic
for a multiple user computer.

Disabled
for a single user computer
Fax
Enables you to send and receive faxes, utilizing fax resources available on
this
computer or on the network.
*This service isn't installed by default but is available off the Windows XP
installation CD.
I send faxes very infrequently but I still want it available on this computer.
set it to Manual on my system.

Plug and Play
Print Spooler

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Telephony
Disabled
No Fax

Manual
Fax available on demand
FTP Publishing
     Service
Used to provide a FTP server on your network.
*If you aren't running a server from your machine, you won't need this.
IIS Admin
Disabled
Help and Support
Enables Help and Support Center to run on this computer. If this service is
stopped, Help and Support Center will be unavailable. If this service is
disabled,
any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
*This service is required for Microsoft Online Help documents. Attempting to
access Help and Support after disabling this service will change the startup
type to Automatic on this service.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
Human Interface Device Access
Enables generic input access to Human Interface Devices (HID), which activates
and maintains the use of predefined hot buttons on keyboards, remote controls,
and other multimedia devices. If this service is stopped, hot buttons
controlled
by this service will no longer function. If this service is disabled,
any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
*Some peripherals require this service. Internet keyboards with volume and play
control buttons, scanners with fax or copy buttons. I don't have any of
these kinds of peripherals so mine is disabled.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
IIS Admin
Usually used in conjunction with local web site or FTP servers.
*Not installed by default. Crackers use this as a leak on your system. Leave
Disabled if you don't need it.

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Security Accounts Manager
Disabled
IMAPI
    CD-Burning
          COM Service
Manages CD recording using Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface
(IMAPI). If this service is stopped, this computer will be unable to record
CDs. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it
will
fail to start.
*XP comes with burning software that allows drag & drop burning. If you have
software installed that already has this feature, you can Disable it. Disabling
this service can give you an improvement in burning speed as well. (So I've
heard)
None
Disabled
Indexing Service
Indexes contents and properties of files on local and remote computers;
provides
rapid access to files through flexible querying language.
*This is a resource hog. Either Disable it or even better, uninstall it using
the Add/Remove Programs icon in the Control Panel.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Provides network address translation, addressing, name resolution and/or
intrusion prevention services for a home or small office network.
*Not very configurable. Kind of a lame excuse for a firewall. It's better than
nothing.
Application Layer Gateway Service

Network Connections

Network Location Awareness (NLA)

Remote Access Connection Manager
Disabled
if you run a 3rd party firewall application

Automatic
if you want to use the XP Firewall
IPSEC Services
Manages IP security policy and starts the ISAKMP/Oakley (IKE) and the IP
security driver.
*You might be on that rare domain that requires this service. Test out
Disabling
this service.
IPSEC Driver

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

TCP/IP Protocol Driver
Disabled
Logical Disk Manager
Detects and monitors new hard disk drives and sends disk volume information to
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service for configuration. If this service
is stopped, dynamic disk status and configuration information may become out of
date. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend
on it will fail to start.
*If needed, a Manual setting will allow this service to start and stop when not
needed.
Plug and Play

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Manual
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service
Configures hard disk drives and volumes. The service only runs for
configuration
processes and then stops.
*Required by the MMC Console for dynamic volumes.
Logical Disk Manager

Plug and Play

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Manual
Machine Debug Manager
Manages local and remote debugging for Visual Studio debuggers.
*If you don't want to be dealing with the dialogue box asking you if you wish
debug the scrip on this, (not mine) page, Disable this service.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
Messenger
Transmits net send and Alerter service messages between clients and servers.
This service is not related to Windows Messenger. If this service is stopped,
Alerter messages will not be transmitted. If this service is disabled, any
services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
*Only set this to Automatic if you're connected to a Windows 2000/XP domain or
network.
NetBIOS Interface

Plug and Play

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Workstation
Disabled
Message Queuing
*May be used on some domains. Not installed by default. Not available on XP
Home.
Here is a link to
Message Queuing
in Windows XP for a good description of this feature.
Distributed Transaction Coordinator

Message Queuing Access Control

NT LM Security Support Provider

Reliable Multicast Protocol driver

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Server
Disabled

Automatic
if using this service

Message Queuing
     Triggers
*See link above for information on this service.
Message Queuing
Disabled
MS Software Shadow Copy Provider
Manages software-based volume shadow copies taken by the Volume Shadow Copy
service. If this service is stopped, software-based volume shadow copies cannot
be managed. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on
it will fail to start.
*Microsoft Backup requires this service.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Manual

Disabled
and test
Net Logon
Supports pass-through authentication of account logon events for computers in a
domain.
Workstation
Disabled
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Enables an authorized user to access this computer remotely by using NetMeeting
over a corporate intranet. If this service is stopped, remote desktop sharing
will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly
depend on it will fail to start.
*This could be a security hole.
None
Disabled
Network Connections
Manages objects in the Network and Dial-Up Connections folder, in which you can
view both local area network and remote connections.
*Disable this service if you aren't on the Net with your machine.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Automatic
Network DDE
Provides network transport and security for Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) for
programs running on the same computer or on different computers. If this service
is stopped, DDE transport and security will be unavailable. If this service is
disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
*Unless you use ClipBook remotely, Disable this service.
Network DDE DSDM
Disabled
Network DDE DSDM
Manages Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) network shares. If this service is stopped,
DDE network shares will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any
services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
*Unless you use ClipBook remotely, Disable this service.
None
Disabled
Network Location Awareness (NLA)
Collects and stores network configuration and location information, and
notifies
applications when this information changes.
*Internet Connection Sharing Service, (server only) requires this server to be
running. Disabled unless running ICS/ICF.
AFD Networking Support Environment

TCP/IP Protocol Driver
Disabled
NT LM Security Support Provider
Provides security to remote procedure call (RPC) programs that use transports
other than named pipes.
None
Disabled
Performance Logs and Alerts
Collects performance data from local or remote computers based on preconfigured
schedule parameters, then writes the data to a log or triggers an alert.
If this service is stopped, performance information will not be collected. If
this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
fail to start.
*Combine the information that this service will produce in the performance log
and System Monitor and you have some pretty technical info. Not really necessary
IMO.
None
Disabled
Plug and Play
Enables a computer to recognize and adapt to hardware changes with little or no
user input. Stopping or disabling this service will result in system
instability.
*One of the basic natures of your operating systems of today are Plug and Play.
Install a device or component and your system automatically detects it.
Without this, your system will not ask for proper drivers to be installed. You
will be left unaware that you have hardware configuration problems if not
immediately apparent through normal operation of your machine. In other words,
don't disable this baby!
None
Automatic
Portable Media Serial Number
Retrieves the serial number of any portable music player connected to your
computer.
*I haven't heard of any device that requires this service yet.
None
Disabled
Print Spooler
Loads files to memory for later printing.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Automatic
Protected Storage
Provides protected storage for sensitive data, such as private keys, to prevent
access by unauthorized services, processes, or users.
*This service is responsible for saving passwords using Auto Complete, Dialup
Networking and Domain Controller/Server that requires authentication. I leave
this one set to Automatic myself. You decide which is best for you.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Automatic
saves passwords

Disabled
more security
QoS RSVP
Provides network signalling and local traffic control setup functionality for
QoS-aware programs and control applets.
*You will find this installed by default in any  Network connection. Some
applications can request the extra bandwidth made available by this service.
Approximately
20%. When the bandwidth is no longer needed, it is returned to your systems
available bandwidth. 100% is now available again. Disable this service if you
have no need for the bandwidth redirect. Better still, uninstall it from your
network connection.
More about this service.
AFD Networking Support Environment

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

TCP/IP Protocol Driver
Disabled
Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
Creates a connection to a remote network whenever a program references a remote
DNS or NetBIOS name or address.
*Your internet connection may need this service running due to some ISP's logon
processes. Test it out with Disabled. If your connection fails, set it to
Automatic.
Remote Access Connection Manager

Telephony
Disabled
if not required for your connection.

Automatic
if required for your connection
Remote Access Connection Manager
Creates a network connection.
*Internet Connection Sharing requires this service and as above, your Internet
connection may need this service running due to some ISP's logon processes.
Test it out with Disabled. If your connection fails, set it to Automatic.
Telephony
Disabled
if not required for your connection.

Automatic
if required for your connection
Remote Desktop Help Session Manager
Manages and controls Remote Assistance. If this service is stopped, Remote
Assistance will be unavailable. Before stopping this service, see the
Dependencies
tab of the Properties dialog box.
*This can be a handy service for the Newbie and the helpful Power User. If you
don't plan on using this service, Disable it.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Provides the endpoint mapper and other miscellaneous RPC services.
*As you can see by the dependency column, lots of services depend on this
service.
None
Automatic
Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator
Manages the RPC name service database.
*If your connection fails after Disabling this service, set it to Manual.
Workstation
Disabled
Remote Registry
Enables remote users to modify registry settings on this computer. If this
service is stopped, the registry can be modified only by users on this computer.
If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
fail
to start.
*You will be able to modify your registry only from your computer. No remote
computer will be able to gain access.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
Removable Storage
Used for managing removable media.
*e.g.
Tape backup devices and CD-ROM's may not work properly if Disabled. Test it out
and see.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
Routing and Remote Access
Offers routing services to businesses in local area and wide area network
environments.
NetBIOSGroup

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
Secondary Logon
Enables starting processes under alternate credentials. If this service is
stopped, this type of logon access will be unavailable. If this service is
disabled,
any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
None
Disabled
Security Accounts Manager
Stores security information for local user accounts.
*If you use Group Policy Editor, (gpedit.msc) you must have this set to
Automatic for your custom policy settings to work.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled

Automatic
if you use Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
Server
Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network for this
computer.
If this service is stopped, these functions will be unavailable. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.
*If you are on a network and have file and print sharing turned on, you will
need this set to Automatic. Home users should Disable this security risk
service.
None
Disabled
Shell Hardware Detection
*Some actions require a device to be detected in order to produce. Such as
playing a music CD. A CD-ROM device has to be found. Sorry for my vagueness on
this one.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Manual
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
*Supports the use of a local (outbound) email server.
Not installed by default.
Event Log

IIS Admin
Disabled
Simple TCP/IP Service
*Supports UNIX Networking services.
Not installed by default.
AFD Networking Support Environment
Disabled
Smart Card
Manages access to smart cards read by this computer. If this service is
stopped,
this computer will be unable to read smart cards. If this service is disabled,
any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
*In a Network of computers you might have a Smart Sard installed for Network
Authentication. If you don't have any Smart Cards installed, Disable this
service.
Plug and Play
Disabled
Smart Card Helper
Enables support for legacy non-plug and play smart-card readers used by this
computer. If this service is stopped, this computer will not support legacy
reader. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it
will fail to start.
*No Smart Card? Disable this service.
None
Disabled
SNMP Service
Supports the use of networking equipment that use SNMP as a mode of management.
*Not installed by default
Event Log
Disabled
SNMP Trap Service
Supports the use of networking equipment that use SNMP as a mode of management.
Event Log
Disabled
SSDP Discovery Service
Enables discovery of UPnP devices on your home network.
*If you don't have any of these devices, disable it. If you do have home
networking devices set up, test it out on Disable. If any device stops working,
set to Automatic.
None
Disabled
System Event Notification
Tracks system events such as Windows logon, network, and power events. Notifies
COM+ Event System subscribers of these events.
*This service will notify and log events such as logon's and power problems.
Most of us couldn't care less about this information.
COM+ Event System
Disabled
System Restore Service
Performs system restore functions. To stop service, turn off System Restore
from
the System Restore tab in My Computer, Properties, System Restore tab.
*2 schools of thought on this one. Some think it's a resource hog. It will
create a new restore point every time you install a new program. The restore
point is as big as your amount of RAM you have installed. You can remove old
restore points if you want as to not use up to much of your hard drive space.
I like it. before I do some kind of major hacking to my system or install some
kind of beta ware, I create a restore point to return to if need be. Multiple
partitions with multiple O/S's? Turn off System Restore on all drives except
Windows XP's partition.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Automatic

Disabled
If you like to do a fresh install if problems occur.
Task Scheduler
Enables a user to configure and schedule automated tasks on this computer. If
this service is stopped, these tasks will not be run at their scheduled times.
If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
fail
to start.
*BootVis, Anti virus program auto updates, added maintenance routines, Windows
XP prefetch, Windows Updates service, are a few of the programs and services
that won't start if Disabled. I do everything manually so I Disable this
service.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Enables support for NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) service and NetBIOS name
resolution.
*If NetBios or WINS is not implemented on your network, Disable this service.
AFD Networking Support Environment

NetBios over TCP/IP
Disabled
Telephony
Provides Telephony API (TAPI) support for programs that control telephony
devices and IP based voice connections on the local computer and, through the
LAN, on servers that are also running the service.
*Dialup Networking depends on this service to be running. If you are on Cable
or
DSL, test Disabled. If your connection fails, set to Automatic.
Plug and Play

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
Telnet
Enables a remote user to log on to this computer and run programs, and supports
various TCP/IP Telnet clients, including UNIX-based and Windows-based computers.
If this service is stopped, remote user access to programs might be
unavailable.
If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it
will fail to start.
*This service isn't available on XP Home.
Disable this one as it could pose a security risk.
NT LM Security Support Provider

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

TCP/IP Protocol Driver
Disabled
Terminal Services
Allows multiple users to be connected interactively to a machine as well as the
display of desktops and applications to remote computers. The underpinning
of Remote Desktop (including RD for Administrators), Fast User Switching,
Remote
Assistance, and Terminal Server.
*If you don't use any of these features, Disable this service. This service
could pose a security threat as well.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
Themes
Provides user experience theme management.
*If you use the themes provided by the XP O/S, set this one to Automatic. If
you
don't like the colours and animations, Disable. If you want to shut down
most of the resource wasting in the themes,
Turn Off The Fluff!
None
Automatic
if you use themes.

Disabled
If you don't.
TrueVector Basic Logging Client
Writes alert text to a log file.
*Required by Zone Alarm
TrueVector Internet Monitor
Automatic
TrueVector Internet Monitor
Monitors internet traffic and generates alerts for disallowed access.
*Required by Zone Alarm
AFD Networking Support Environment

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

vsdatant
Automatic
Uninterruptible Power Supply
Manages an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) connected to the computer.
*If you use a Uninterruptible Power Supply, (UPS) leave this set to Automatic.
None
Disabled
Universal Plug and Play Device Host
Provides support to host Universal Plug and Play devices.
*Some multiplayer games using Direct 7/8 require this service to be running. If
this applies to you, set it to Automatic. Otherwise, Disable this service
as it poses a possible security risk.
SSDP Discovery Service
Disabled
Upload Manager
Manages synchronous and asynchronous file transfers between clients and servers
on the network. If this service is stopped, synchronous and asynchronous
file transfers between clients and servers on the network will not occur. If
this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail
to start.
*You won't need this one. Most Networks will have their own application that
will take care of this one. FTP is the norm.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
Volume Shadow Copy
Manages and implements Volume Shadow Copies used for backup and other purposes.
If this service is stopped, shadow copies will be unavailable for backup
and the backup may fail. If this service is disabled, any services that
explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
*This service is used with Microsoft Backup. If you don't use Microsoft Backup,
Disable this service. If unsure, set to Manual.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled

Manual
if unsure.
WebClient
Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify Internet-based
files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not be available. If
this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail
start.
*It's been rumoured that DOT NET may require this service.
WebDav Client Redirector
Disabled
Windows Audio
Manages audio devices for Windows-based programs. If this service is stopped,
audio devices and effects will not function properly. If this service is
disabled,
any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
*Don't Disable this one unless you don't have a sound card installed.
Plug and Play

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Automatic
Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)
Provides image acquisition services for scanners and cameras.
*If you Disable this service and your camera or scanner fails to function, set
this to Automatic.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled

Automatic
If problems occur
Windows Installer
Installs, repairs and removes software according to instructions contained in
.MSI files.
*If you set this service to Manual, it will start when needed.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Manual
Windows Management Instrumentation
Provides a common interface and object model to access management information
about operating system, devices, applications and services. If this service
is stopped, most Windows-based software will not function properly. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.
Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Automatic
Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions
Provides systems management information to and from drivers.
None
Manual
Windows Time
Maintains date and time synchronization on all clients and servers in the
network. If this service is stopped, date and time synchronization will be
unavailable.
If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
fail
to start.
*Instead of using resources I set my clock manually when needed. I don't run
the
clock in the taskbar as it uses up valuable real-estate on the taskbar.
I modified my case to accommodate a
digital clock
on the front instead.
None
Disabled
Wireless Zero Configuration
Provides automatic configuration for the 802.11 adapters.
*If you don't have a wireless network setup, you can disable this service.
NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
WMI Performance Adapter
Provides performance library information from WMI HiPerf providers.
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Disabled
Workstation
Creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers. If this
service is stopped, these connections will be unavailable. If this service is
disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Very important service.
None
Automatic
table end

Here is an image of how I have my services setup.
Beemer's Windows XP Services

Beemer's Tutorials...

Add This Page
To Your Favorites

Beemer's Windows Tips
Go To BeemerWorld

  BeemerWorld Sites and Pages

For information on health, wealth building and personal development, click
here.