Re: Sending Large Files

  • From: Yardbird <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:39:55 -0800

hi Gary,

I sometimes have large files I need to send someone by posting them online,
and for this I regularly use SendSpace without the Wizard they offer. I
understand that some people find that Wizard helpful, and I have no opinion
because I've never used it. But I can say that it didn't take me very many
visits using Jaws to learn to successfully upload a file there.

You go to the main page at http://www.sendspace.com and the Send function
form is right there on that page. I can't remember key words to use for
locating the form, but the Jaws E command for finding edit fields will work
nicely to get you to the beginning of the form.

Don't go right into Forms Mode, if you want to familiarize yourself with the
procedure. First arrow down and see what you'll be working with. First comes
a field for entering the path and file name of the file you're uploading. If
you' put the file in a location on your hard drive that's simple to remember
and type in, that's preferable to going to the next element where you can
choose to browse your hard drive to find the file. Just memorize it, say
c:\bigfile.doc or whatever and go into Forms Mode and type it in. Then press
Tab to go to the next fields, ignoring if you seem to be asked for the same
thing again, which my Jaws 10 picks up around this point in the form. Just
tab to where they ask for a comment, if you wish to include one in the
notice SendSpace will send out, then an email address for the recipient if
you want SendSpace to send them the notice (not necessary if you can't
remember their email address at the moment; see next comments) and then your
own email address. Don't forget to type that in.

Then you'll hear a check box for saying you agree to the terms and
conditions, press Spacebar to check this. Confirm by staying right there and
pressing the Say Line command, Insert Num Pad 8. Very important to do that.
I may have gotten a step or two in the wrong order, but you'll see when you
get there, and it'll make sense anyway.

last, tab to the Send button or whatever the control is called (it's
obvious, don't worry) and hit Enter.

If you've done everything right, you'll get a page where the upload progress
is tracked and you can follow it, probably using the Jaws cursor. Take the
time to read everything you can above this feature, for your information.
Pay attention to the warning not to leave the page lest you abort the upload
by doing so. But that doesn't mean you can't use Alt Tab to go to any other
running application, or even to another Web page if it's running in a
separate incidence of your browser. But don't leave that page except by alt
Tab.

When the file upload is finished, SendSpace will email you a notice that
includes a link to click on in order to download the file. If you couldn't
remember your recipient's email address when you were at the form, as I
often can't, just forward a copy of this notice to them now, taking all the
time you need to find their address or, as I often do, typing in the
beginning of their name and letting Open Book and Windows fill in the
address from my address book entry. And send.

that's it. Less hassle to actually do than it was for me to type all this.
Not complaining, just saying you'll get the hang of it easily enough.

Also, if you make any mistakes before pressing the Send command, the upload
won't startbut you'll get a page on which you're told there's an error. you
can find it with the Jaws cursor. Almost always, the wording doesn't
describe what you've actually done wrong, but you may realize you typed the
path and filename wrong or forgot to check the agreement box or something,
and just do it over again. This becomes less mysterious when you've been
through it once or twice.

Hope this helps.
Joel

Alternative archives located at: