Selecting alternative update mirror in Spybot SD 1.2

  • From: Chipmunks <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 06:16:51 +0100

HI, guys,

I am using Spybot SD 1.2 as one of my tools of protection against spyware.

i frequently find that I have problems downloading the latest update files
in that speech hangs for several minutes and update files are not downloaded.

I know that I can fix this by selecting an alternate mirror for downloading
the update files, usually the one in the US even though I am located in
Europe myself.

I usually ask my sighted hubby for help with this procedure but have
finally after an eternity of jaws cursor acrobatics succeeded in doing this
myself once.

What I did was the following. I am wondering now if there is an easier
method or even a script to accomplish this with jfw. I am mostly using jfw
4.5.1 still though I have 5.0 on my machine also.

here is what I did:

1. From the navigation menu under online select the update option.

2. from the action menu select the "search for update" option.

3. once the list of available updates is displayed, from the action menu
select the "no mirror selected" option.

4. then with the jaws cursor, look over the program window and up towards
the top of it, hunt for a server name that is listed in the middle of other
text.

5. with the jaws cursor, click on the "scroll down" graphic (I don't
remember if this graphic is labeled by default or if I had to label it with
sighted help origianlly.)

6. when hering something about a menu, switching to pc cursor and arrowing
to the server desired and hitting enter on it.

It took me a long time to even figure out that clicking the server I wanted
with the jfw cursor did not select it but that I needed to switch to the pc
cursor at this point. I hope that someone else has foudn an easier way to
switch download servers or perhaps developed a script to accomplish this.
Help would be very much appreciated!

Btw, I know of the availibility of a link to the include file updates from
the program section on the jfwlite page but found that the include files do
not always contain all the updates available thru the online update
function from within the program.

Cheers,

Doris