Re: Seeking accessible offline dictionaries

  • From: "G.W. Cox" <gwcox2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 13:57:20 -0700

I wasn't at all offended and if I wish to reply privately, I can do so.

Since it is in that popular applications group, I assume that it was
scripted by FS. It works fine with Jaws. As far as pronunciation goes, I
can't attest to what I was thinking at the time I installed it, but
perhaps I figured their synthesizer is but another synthesizer.

The Latin verb to which you refer is "spirare". The dictionary has
etymology but you have to interpret it carefully and some symbols just
don't work. That's at the end of this.

In spire (in sp#­rÆ), v., -spired, -spir ing.

 -v.t.

1.   to fill with an animating, quickening, or exalting influence: His
courage inspired his followers.

2.   to produce or arouse (a feeling, thought, etc.): to inspire
confidence in others.

3.   to fill or affect with a specified feeling, thought, etc.: to
inspire a person with distrust.

4.   to influence or impel: Competition inspired her to greater efforts.

5.   to animate, as an influence, feeling, thought, or the like, does:
They were inspired by a belief in a better future.

6.   to communicate or suggest by a divine or supernatural influence:
writings inspired by God.

7.   to guide or control by divine influence.

8.   to prompt or instigate (utterances, acts, etc.) by influence,
without avowal of responsibility.

9.   to give rise to, bring about, cause, etc.: a philosophy that
inspired a revolution.

10. to take (air, gases, etc.) into the lungs in breathing; inhale.

11. Archaic.

      a. to infuse (breath, life, etc.) by breathing (usually fol. by
into).

      b. to breathe into or upon.

-v.i.

12. to give inspiration.

13. to inhale.

[1300-50; ME inspiren < L insp#r!re to breathe upon or into, equiv. to
in- IN-2 + sp#r!re to breathe]

-in·spir·a·tive (in sp#­rÆÃ tiv, inÆspi r!Åtiv), adj.

-in·spirÆer, n.

-in·spirÆing·ly, adv.