Re: Scanning with XP?

  • From: "Adam Daou" <adam.daou@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:15:23 -0500

Hey Chevelle,
In our local terminology, we call Omnipage Pro a mainstream OCR. It's a good
product and Jaws has a config file for it. I know many people who are using
it and you can launch it from within Microsoft Word, which is good. I forgot
to mention it to Cait. Some scanners include Omnipage in their package.
Usually, people with limited vision tend to like it because it's not
expensive, and often they use it with Zoomtext, Magic, or other magnifiers.
From what I know, visually challenged persons prefer to use Kurzweil 1000 or
Openbook because of their many features such as Brailing, etc. With K1000,
you can scan many pages, and quickly save them using various format
including wav and mp3. Kurzweil 3000 is good for students who have limited
vision. VIP is a wonderful OCR and it is designed for low vision only since
one has to be able to see the screen, and it has a lot of magnification and
voice output, plus incredible features ranging from scanning, CCTV like
mode, email to Internet browsing. I had a chance once to test all these
products, VIP not included, using a document that has a big letter sitting
on 2 lines of text, and believe it or not, only Omnipage Pro and the
software that came with my. Epson 1670 passed the test. I was not surprised
because I know the kind of algorithm used by programmers when they design
OCR software. Anyway, they are all good, and things change so quickly,
thanks to competition, They all improve their product and they become better
and better every year. So, why don't you give it a shot and assess how far
you can go with it. Please keep us posted.
Adam