Saving Outlook setups

  • From: "Francis Daniels" <fdaniels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:51:59 -0800

This is a partial article concerning Outlook and how to backup Outlook
information.

Many of us rely on the information we have stored in Outlook. To some, it's
become like a personal organizer. It holds information such as our important
contacts and keeps track of our appointments and meetings. However, as good
as Outlook is, it lacks any viable system for backing up your valuable
Outlook information and losing your Outlook data could be catastrophic. So
here's what you need to know about backup for Outlook. Outlook stores
information in a data file called a "personal folder" file. This file has a
.pst extension. The easiest way to back up all of your Outlook information
is to copy the .pst file, in most cases Outlook.pst file to a network drive
or to your local hard drive.

Outlook lets you archive your data to a file called Archive.pst which places
your oldest data into that file. From Outlook, click on Tools and then
Options, select the Other tab and click on the AutoArchive button. Now you
can set your Outlook program to automate the Archive process so that the
process runs every so many days. If possible, the Archive.pst should be
stored on a network drive that is backed up on a regular basis.

So if necessary, you can restore data from a PST file back into Outlook.
Therefore, it's important to include any PST files in your regular backups.
If your PST files are not stored on a network drive that has a good backup
strategy, then you should implement your own backup plan. One option is to
copy all PST files, this includes the Archive.pst, to CD on a daily, weekly,
or monthly basis. You will need to determine which scenario is a good fit to
your environment.

Francis