Re: Sapi voices

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:18:01 -0000

Hi;

The MS SAPI TTS engine is a forment based system.  When we speak a speech
sound, there's three or four key frequencies that produce those sounds,
these are called forments.  So, a forment synth just produces these groups
of sounds on demand using some form of tonal generation.

However, the AT&T Natural Voices, Dolphin's Orpheus v2, etc. are what's
known as a concatonated synth.  These take very small samples of the speech
sounds, and concatonate, or stitch, them together to form words.  These tend
to be something like 10K, or higher, sampled PCM/Wave files.  So, there's
the memory requirements to store this sort of sounds database, and the
processor requirements to play them.  That's why the difference in
performance occurs.

Will Pearson
Microsoft MVP (Visual Developer/VC++)