Re: SMA policy was: JAWS update now available

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:07:06 -0700

Jerry,

Not clear what you mean, here. First of all, do you mean that you simply
knew this suggestion had to be wrong? Aren't there a lot of settings you
could mistakenly make in Configuration Manager that would create problems,
which could be resolved if someone got you to check those settings?

And second, what do you mean, you gave up on tech support? What do you do
when Jaws begins to malfunction, and you want someone to suggest how to
diagnose and rectify the problem? I don't get it.

Thanks.

By The way, I'm not defending FS tech support or in fact making any
statement for or against anyone. I'm personally having  extraordinary
problems with both Open Book and Jaws lately, and so far no one at Tier 1 or
Tier 2 has been able to suggest anything, after hours on the phone, but
constant rounds of repairs, then uninstalling and reinstalling,and of course
restarting my system all the while, between these efforts. Naturally, there
was one point at which, when something started malfunctioning in Jaws, one
of them made me tog to Display and tweak some bide setting, and I swear,
Jaws hadn't been malfunctioning on this computer, with these very settings I
already had, for a long time.

If I let myself, I'll write ten pages about all these insane tech support
phone calls and how they've left me stranded and unable to use Open Book,
which keeps hanging, and Jaws 8 which won't even install anymore, the
Install Shield Wizard insisting that it can't find the eloquence-related
file for the synth. And yes, I did a system restore, on general principles,
just as requested. Never mind, I'm starting to break my promise not to go
into detail.

Arghh. Thank God I've still got Jaws 7 and IE 6 on my machine, and can live
with OB acting quirky for a time, anyway. But now John Carson wants me to
run a Windows utility that will uninstall my Jaws 7, which I don't know how
I'll replace if he can't get Jaws 8 to install and work. Need sighted help
for this step, because I'm no good with Windows Narrator... this is so
exasperating, I can barely express my dismay well enough. But anyway, what's
this about giving up on Tech Support the way you described having done? I
really didn't get that.

Thanks.