Re: SMA policy was: JAWS update now available

  • From: "Alan Clendinen" <alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 10:03:16 -0400

Daniel,

No, I haven't looked into the legality of the FS SMA policy, but I seem to
recall from a business law course I took back in my college years, that
businesses are given a lot of leeway in the area of product upgrades and
software maintenance agreements.

I'm reluctant to switch to another screen-reader application, as I'm used to
JFW, having used it since 1995 in a professional capacity as a programmer.
Besides, no screen-reader is perfect. They all have their flaws. Switching to a
different screen-readerwould only give me a different set of problems.

Regards,
Alan

Daniel wrote:

Alan,

I've always suspected that might be the way the SMA arrangement works, but
never had occasion to test it by trying to drop out for a release or two.
What you describe sounds legally actionable, although I'm sure it isn't
because FS certainly has either its own in-house counsel or a captive law
firm at their bidding, and knows what they can get away with. But to say
only that this scenario is unfair seems inadequate.  In other words, despite
all, it nonetheless just plain sounds illegal. Have you ever checked into
this?

Shaking my head in disbelief,
Daniel