SMA policy was: JAWS update now available

  • From: "Alan Clendinen" <alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 05:51:33 -0400

I'm afraid the SMA policy is worse than what you describe. If you choose not to
keep your SMA current, and then one day you decide to buy a SMA so you can
upgrade to the latest JAWS update, Freedom Scientific will demand that you pay
for all of the SMAs that you failed to purchase. In other words, if you did not
buy an SMA that covered JFW versions 7 and 8, and then wanted to upgrade to JFW
version 9, they would require you to pay for a SMA that covered JFW versions 7
and 8, and also pay for the SMA covering JFW 9 and 10. They don't care if
versions 7 and 8 were buggy or that you did not download them, you are expected
to pay for those previous SMAs. I experienced this situation when a couple of
versions of JFW were incompatible with the Windows Sticky-keys utility I have
to use, due to being one-handed. I couldn't use two versions of JFW because of
this bug, but FS still demanded I pay for the SMA covering those unusable
versions before I could get the SMA for the latest version in which the bug was
fixed.

Alan

Blake wrote:
I'm afraid it doesn't matter whether you install an upgrade or not. If you
buy an SMA, you're entitled to two consecutive upgrades.