Running Word maxe for the sake of jaws?

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 20:39:48 -0700

I know this is a standard recommendation, but I have yet to figure out why.
If you click on Properties when focused on your Word icon on the Desktop or
its equivalent on the Start Menu, you'll find if you tab down a few times an
option for determining whether the application will run in normal or
maximized mode when launched.  I'm aware that if you were to shrink a Word
window, somehow, Jaws might get confused and disoriented.  But it's worth
noting that if this option is set just to Normal, as is the default in Word
and many other applications, the screen is completely filled with the Word
interface and the document, and in my experience with Word and Jaws since
Jaws 3.7, this works just fine.

This is not the same as saying that you shouldn't maximize something like an
Outlook Express message when you're reading or creating one.  That, you
should do, to give Jaws a fighting chance.  But the Word screen is already
just fine as it is.