Re: Rules help in XP please

  • From: "Greg Epley" <gregepley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:06:20 -0600

Hi Melvin,
I'm pasting below some instructions I've passed along to some others on this
issue.
---
The following are instructions for adding a new rule.  You can name rules
whatever you like, but you will want to delete (remove) the rule that is not
working.  It is sometimes hard to edit an existing rule and the faster
solution is to delete and start over.

One word of warning before you get started.  You might want to copy these
instructions into Notepad so you can reference them while making the rule.
Also, the Mail Rule dialogs are very chatty when you move back into the
dialog focus, so you may want to press Insert+Tab to find out where you are
in the dialogs.

1. In OE, go to Tools Menu, Message Rules submenu, Mail...
- This brings up the Mail Rules dialog.  It is possible to add a mail rule
direct from a message itself but I've had occasions where that didn't give
me the rule I wanted, so I always opt for making them this way.
2. In the Mail Rules dialog, tab to the New... button or press Alt+n.
- The New Mail rule dialog opens and speaks the following:
Select your conditions and actions first, then specify the values in the
description.  Criteria list view, where the From line contains people, 1 of
12.
3. Down arrow about 5 times or so until you hear:
Where the To or Cc line contains people.
then tap the spacebar to select it.
- In most cases you can just use Where the To line contains people, but
mailing lists sometimes have messages come in with the mail list address in
the Cc line, so this catches messages in that event.
4. Tab once and JAWS speaks:
Actions list view, move it to the specified folder, 1 of 12.
- Move is generally the one you will use most, so that mail coming in to the
Inbox is moved into whatever folder you desire.
5. Tap the spacebar to select the Move action.
6. Tab once and JAWS speaks:
Rule description (click on an underlined value to edit it).
- This is a read only edit box listing all the conditions and actions of the
rule.  Don't concern yourself with the order of items in this box since OE
will handle that for you.
7. Tap the up arrow key and JAWS should say:
Apply this rule after the message arrives.  This is good practice to get
your orientation in this edit box.
8. Down arrow one time to hear that you are on the condition, Where the To
or Cc line contains people, and press the Enter (Return) key to edit the
value of the condition.
- This brings up the Select people dialog, and JAWS should start speaking:
Type one name at a time and click Add.  You are in an edit box where you can
paste the email address you want to watch for.  You can also tab around in
this dialog and access addresses from your Address book.
9. Paste or type in the following address (this is the exact address I'm
using), but do not press Enter (Return):
Windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
10. Press Alt+a (Alt A) to add it to the addresses for this condition.  To
get to the OK button, I press Shift+Tab twice, it's faster than Tabbing
forward through a bunch of controls and there is no keyboard shortcut for
the OK button.  You might also be able to just press the Enter key but this
can be dangerous if you don't know where you are at the time in a dialog.
- This places you back in the Rule description box.
11. Press down arrow a few times until JAWS speaks:
Move it to the specified folder,
then press Enter to edit the folder value.
- This displays a Move dialog where you select the folder to move the
messages meeting the condition into.  This dialog would differ a little
depending on what action you were editing.  The Move dialog has a standard
Windows tree view that you focus in as soon as you enter the dialog.  I'll
assume you know how to open/close leaves on the tree.  Mine also has a New
folder button but that may be only in XP or 2000, I don't know about 98 and
can't remember.
12.  When you find the folder you want just press Enter on it, no need to
tab to or use the OK button.
- This places you again back in the Rule description box.
13. Tab once and JAWS speaks:
4. Name of the Rule:,
Just begin typing a descriptive name for the rule, I named mine Windows
Discussion List but you can use whatever you like.
14. Press Enter at the end of your Rule name, no need to tab to the OK
button.
- This places you back in the Mail Rules dialog, with your rule in the list
box of rules.  There are a lot of buttons in the dialog for changing the
order in which rules are applied, adding new rules, deleting (removing)
existing rules, modifying existing rules, etc., and applying the rules to
existing messages in your Inbox - all of which are beyond the scope of these
instructions.
15. You can press Enter while in the list of mail rules to OK out of the
Mail Rules dialog or press Shift+Tab twice to get to the OK button.

That's it.  Any messages coming in to the Inbox that meet the conditions
should have the actions applied.

I hope these instructions help and just let me know if you run into
problems.
-Greg Epley