Re: Question about running Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.1 with Jaws, has anyone had any luck?

  • From: "Samara Raine" <samararaine@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:09:11 -0500

I'd also like to know this.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeremy Hartley" <jeremyhartley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2009 2:24 AM
Subject: Question about running Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.1 with Jaws, has anyone had any luck?

Hey folks,

Several days ago, I purchased an ebook that required Adobe Digital Editions. Many years ago, I used Adobe Digital Editions with no problems, but that was on another computer, and most definitely a different version than the one currently offered. I am running into a really strange issue, that even has stumped Adobe Technical support at this point. I figured I would ask here, just in case any of you have run across this behavior before, and it is Jaws or screen reader related.

Basically, after installing Adobe Digital Editions, the program just hangs at the word Initializing when the program is launched. I receive no activate product dialogue, nothing. I even let the darn thing run for 24 hours, and woke up to find the screen still said initializing! grin

I have been in touch with Adobe technical support, but unfortunately, the person in charge of my case writes broken English at best. He is telling me to disable all startup entries in msconfig, Gulp! Which I do not want to do if I don't have to. I remember doing that once before, and of course, I got no sound and no jaws. Of course, I could uncheck stuff in msconfig, but why go down that road unless it is absolutely needed? grin

Again, I just wanted to see if this is normal behavior. I know that some programs are bitmapped, so Jaws would not be able to read the graphics on the screen if there are any. If anyone has used version 1.7.1 of Digital Editions successfully with Jaws versions 9 10 or 11, then I will continue to go down the current road with Adobe Technical Support.

Thanks.

Jeremy Hartley

Alternative archives located at: