Re: Question about Skype and JAWS.

  • From: Doug Lee <dgl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "marissa.hendry" <marissa.hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:25:31 -0500

Not sure if anyone ever answered this, but I recommend the Alt+number
commands (Alt+1 etc.) for reading chat lines:  Alt+1 reads the last
one, Alt+2 the one before that, etc.  This works only if you use the
JAWS scripts for Skype.  The latest version of these is at
http://www.dlee.org/jfw-skr298.zip, but version 275 is considered more
stable by some.  I don't have version 275 posted at my site anymore,
but I'm sure they're out there.  If you use the Skype 3.0 beta, you
will probably need to either turn on time stamps in chat lines or use
IRC style instead of the default style in order to make the Alt+number
commands work.  If you use a Skype 2.x version, this should not be
necessary.

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 11:44:58AM -0000, marissa.hendry wrote:
Does anyone know how I can get JAWS to read only the latest message from
someone who is having a written conversation with me on Skype without it
going through all the previous messages between us as it does automatically
if I'm doing something else at the time so the window is not in focus?
Sometimes it can take so long to get to their last message after it's read
all the ones before it so it would be better if it could just read the last
one sent.  I know it does when the conversation window is in focus but when
it's not I would like to know if this can be done so it still reads only
the last message.

If anyone has a solution I'd be very grateful.

Thanks and have a great day.

>From Marissa.

Doug Lee                 dgl@xxxxxxxx
SSB + BART Group         doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   http://www.ssbbartgroup.com
"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both
incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by
dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper."  --Rod Serling