Re: Question about Skype and JAWS.

  • From: Doug Lee <dgl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 07:12:02 -0500

As the author of the current scripts, and for various reasons, I
recommend installing Skype scripts, and all scripts really, in the My
Settings folder, not the Shared Settings folder.  My reasons include

1.  Recently, Freedom Scientific made a policy of asking scripters to
avoid modifying Shared Settings.  This was done in consultation with a
number of well-known scripters and was more of an agreement than a
request.

2.  Altering Shared Settings can complicate JAWS repairs and automatic
updates (JAWS 7.1).

3.  The user folder is easy to copy and install in a new JAWS version,
but mixing things into shared settings makes upgrading difficult.

4.  It is easy to see what customizations you've made if they are all
in My Settings.

5.  There is the possibility that putting scripts in Shared Settings
will cause user-specific configuration settings supported by the
scripts to be shared as well, defeating the purpose of user-settable
options in the scripts.

6.  The Skype scripts, at the next release, will specifically assume
they are in the My Settings folder in order to make a modification to
default.jkm.  This is for the long awaited key for repeating the last
SkypeWatch message, but I'm getting ahead of myself. <grin>

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 06:57:43AM -0500, Chris Jenkins wrote:
When you download your scripts extract them to a empty folder of your
choice, copy the files that you just extracted to the clipboard, open the
Jaws group of the Jaws version that you want to use the scripts with, open
the explore my settings submenu, you have to decide if you are going to
place your scripts in my settings or if you are going to place your scripts
in shared settings, once you make your decision open either one of these
folders and paste your scripts.  The difference between my settings and
shared settings is if you put your scripts in my settings your profile will
be the only profile that will be able to use the scripts.  Assuming you're
using Windows XP.

I hope this helps.

Chris.