Re: Question: Code editor with UTF-8 support?

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 08:53:30 -0500

Hello again, Parham,

Please disregard my prior recommendation of Crimson Editor.  I have
found a better solution for you.  Have you ever tried something called
EdSharp.  It was written by a blind programmer named Jamal Mazrui and
was designed to be inherently accessible.  It supports utf8 among many
many other char sets.  It's an open-source programmer/developer's text
editor.  It also does some rtf word processing but mostly, it has
features anyone who writes code can appreciate.  I use it to write c++
and html and Javascript.  I've found it very useful and perfectly
accessible.  It'll even convert stuff like pdf's to txt for you (minus
the png's so openbook is still good for lots of that sort of thing)
and laTX Just wasnt' sure about the utf-8 part.  I am quite sure you
can use it for php.  Below, I have included two links for you.  the
first is to the documentation for EdSharp so you can have a look at it
and determine if it's what you want.  The second is a link to the
self-extracting executible that installs EdSharp on your machine:

Documentation:
http://empowermentzone.com/EdSharp.htm
Self-extracting Executible:
http://www.empowermentzone.com/edsetup.exe

It's an awesome text editor really.  Try it out see what you think.  It's free.

Thanks.
Alex M