RE: Punctuation in JAWS

  • From: The Scarlet Wombat <scarletwombat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 08:30:22 +0200

The real question here is whether the written material will be solely used by the blind or everyone. If both blind and sighted, your options are limited. Few screen reader users like reading a long text with punctuation set to all because it is very irritating to keep hearing comma, period and such. At the same time, having punctuation set to a lower level means we miss some thing like quotes and parentheses.

If you are writing strictly for the blind, you can put words in such as quote, unquote, left paren, right paren and such. This would irritate a sighted person a great deal.

Perhaps the answer is very clear writing that uses a minimum of parens. Quotes, if of any length, can be handled by a sentence like this:

To quote William Shakespeare,
insert quote

Then go on. The reader will always have to use their heads to tell when the quote stops and narrative takes up, but we assume they have heads to use.

The use of parens and square brackets can be minimized when writing is done carefully and phrasing is properly set off by commas and semicolons.

Dan

Alternative archives located at: