Re: Problems Re-creating JAWS Shortcut Key

  • From: "Sunday Ugerdodge" <dayugdog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 07:13:20 -0700

I think, we don't have to create a shortcut key.
When you start the JAWS, here's what you have to do and very effective more than a shortcut key:

press and hold down Windows key or Start key then press letter R. The run dialog will be open. Then type JAWS9 and press enter. Just wait for 3 to 5 seconds, the JAWS will be activate.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Campbell" <ray.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <VICUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <real-eyes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2008 10:03 AM
Subject: Problems Re-creating JAWS Shortcut Key

Hello:

I'm helping someone to re-create a JAWS shortcut key without success so
far.  Here is what we have done.

I had her go to the desktop, locate the icon for JAWS 9.0, press the
applications key, arrow up to properties and press enter, tab twice and
put 'j' as the shortcut key.  When I then had her tab and shift tab,
JAWS says "Short Cut Key alt+control+" not saying J.

We figured, oh maybe it just doesn't say it.  So I had her hit the OK
button, unload JAWS and try using the shortcut key to re-launch JAWS.
This did not work.

Then, we deleted the icon that said "jaws 9.0" from the desktop, went
into the JAWS 9.0 sub menu off the start-> programs menu, locate the
icon there which says "JAWS" and sent it to the desktop which creates a
shortcut.  Then, we went back to the desktop, located the JAWS icon,
went to properties, and tried again to create the shortcut key.  We got
the same behavior, where after creating the shortcut JAWS says
"alt+control+" and doesn't say J.

The computer is running Windows XP.  This lady had a JAWS shortcut key
before, but it got deleted somehow.  So, I'm seeking answers as to what
we can do.  I've looked through the Microsoft Knowledge base and we are
doing as it specifies, trying to attach the shortcut key to a desktop or
start menu item.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray Campbell, Help Desk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)