Re: Problem with bbc news site

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <A.Spratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 09:34:14 -0400

I'm using XP, so perhaps the interaction of JAWS 8 and Vista is a contributing cause. Specifically, I have JAWS 8.0.423.

If I understand your question correctly, I generally avoid all skip links in webpages. One drawback of a skip to content link embedded in a webpage is that either JAWS or the MS OS sees the action as taking you to a new page. So if I want to work backwards to a previously opened page, my count is thrown off. This particular problem may not be one for Vista and IE 7 users, which enable you to keep several pages open at once. Personally, I find it easier on the brain to keep the fewest windows open. That said, I do find that skip to content links can affect JAWS's behavior.
From: "Peter Holdstock" <peterholdstock@xxxxxxx>

On the bbc news site at www.bbc.co.uk/news I'm having a problem were I'm clicking on a news story and it is going to the one above.

For example I use ALT +2 to go to the 'skip to content' link, press enter then go down to an article about new orders for Boeing 787' but when I press enter or space bar on it, it goes to the article above about a man dies after tombstoning.

Any ideas what's wrong.

Peter