RE: Printers and Jaws

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:45:57 -0500

I think this is pretty common any more (I mean, to have the windows
printer driver provide you with printer status information).

We just bought an Epson color inkjet printer (largely because it had 4
separate ink cartridges and a WIFI option) and it does this, and it
works quite well with JFW.  I think the specific model was the Epson
C84.  I think you can get it with a parallel or USB interface, and with
an optional ethernet or WIFI connector, which changes the model number
slightly.

I think the basic printer retails for around $70, and I seem to remember
for awhile they were offering a $50 rebait (at least before Christmas).
It's still quite a good deal at $70 as it's fast, clear, handles a
variety of paper sizes, and seems to be quite reliable and trouble free.

Even though we have an entire raft of various HP laser printers at work,
and we've found their hardware to be amazingly trouble free, we've had
nothing but constant trouble with their printer drivers (all models),
and so have so many others that it's now become a standard answer on the
WordPerfect and Word forums for some problems to see if HP has a later
or beta driver.  Therefore, I wouldn't recommend anything from HP.

Hth,

Chip

=20