PowerBraille 80: Two Questions

  • From: "Kane Brolin" <kbrolin65@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 12:10:03 -0400

Hi, everybody.

I apologize for the ightly off-topic nature of this message.  But
while it isn't specifically about how to use JAWS, my query does
relate directly to a piece of vintage equipment a lot of us still use
with JAWS.

I'm involved in a tough predicament with someone who has purchased a PB80 from
me.  My buyer has told me that he does not wish to pay full price
because of two problems that have mae him dissatisfied.  I would like
to correct both, or at least to see if both are reasonable.  So far
this buyer appears to be acting in good faith and is communicating in
a civil tone over concrete issues:

(1)  The PB80 does not have a battery pack.  It was purchased new on
my behalf for a job in 2000, and ever since its purchase I've always
used this with AC wall power.  But now that I think about it, I recall
that it has never worked on DC, even though the PowerBraille sometimes
refers to "battery" or to "slow charge" when the default display is
showing.  Should this unit have come with a battery pre-installed?  Is
there any reasonable explanation for why it wouldn't have come from FS
with a battery?  How much would an appropriate battery cost and how
easy would it be to acquire and install?

(2)  My buyer believes the pB80 might not work with Windows Vista,
even using JAWS in conjunction with his serial port.  Even prior to
finalizing the purchase agreement, he was upfront with me about
wanting to use Vista.  I do not use Vista--only XP Pro and 2000 at
this point, on different machines.  Is
there any overriding reason why the PowerBraille will not function
with JAWS and Vista?

(3)  On a side note, will PB80 work with a parallel port on
Windows vista?  It does not work on LPT using the WinXP operating
systems.

I really appreciate in advance any help you can provide.  Members of
this list have been invaluable to me in the past.

ind regards,

-Kane