Re: Playing music while using Jaws

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:53:00 -0600

Hi. See this is a good tip, thanks for that one Yardbird! I should emphasize though, that these are JAWS script specific commands, so if you're working with another sighted person and JAWS isn't running, or if you happen to be using another screenreader for whatever reason, those commands won't work. But once JAWS is running, they do and they work really well for me too.

Unfortunately not all of the media players let you do this. People ask me why I'm such a Winamp fan, and that's one of the reasons, flexibility! Yay for Winamp!

At 01:03 AM 12/13/2007, you wrote:
I think it was here that we had a thread about this recently? And Don Moore
described the setup he uses with a second sound card and some hardware and
cables? Well, I was wondering if any other solution might be possible, and I
took a look at a list of commands I have for the player Winamp, which a lot
of blind computer users seem to favor for various reasons.

Well, sure enough, there were a couple of hotkeys for setting the Winamp
playback volume in several steps from zero to 33 per cent to 66  per cent to
maximum. So I set it to 33 per cent, then clicked on a track from a jazz
album in one of my folders, and then resumed working with Jaws.

Well, it was a perfect balance. The music was just loud enough to really
hear distinctly, instead of soft musch, and Jaws was louder by far, so there
was no aural conflict or annoyance.

Other Winamp users might want to try this. alt control confict bar f a
hotkey commandws

These commands are:

alt control m for mute
alt control comma for 33 per cent
alt control period for 66 per cent
alt control slash for maximum

And of course, you could use the up and down arrow keys to raise and lower
the volume, as well. Just find a level that's loud enough to hear as well as
you wish to but not loud enough to conflict with Jaws.