Phantom Dialog Boxes: Minor But Annoying

  • From: Kane Brolin <kbrolin65@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:57:20 -0400

Greetings.

I'm not sure if anyone has some ideas here, and I know this may seem
trivial, but  ...  I recently had to reformat my notebook PC from
scratch and reinstall JAWS.  I just started with JFW 10 and updated to
the latest edition of that program.  In general everything works fine,
but every time I close out of the final application I was using, JAWS
places me in an unhighlighted, apparently blank space that it calls a
"dialog" instead of returning me automatically to the desktop.
Whenever I attempt to read the contents of this "dialog," I get
nothing whatsoever even though the title bar says "dialog."  With the
jaws cursor, I just see my desktop icons as if I were on the desktop
itself.  But I must hit a cursor routing key combination to get there
in reality.  I have made sure that no toolbars are running in Task
Manager, and there does not appear to be anything out of the ordinary
happening in my System Tray, though I do run JAWS from that SysTray.

If I have two or more applications open, closing out of one of them
takes me immediately to another application with the proper element
highlighted.  But not so if the only remaining window would be the
desktop view.

I am running Windows xp SP3 on a Compaq EVO Notebook running 768 kb of
RAM.  As far as I know, all display settings are as they should be for
optimal operation of JAWS: screen resolution of 100%, highest number
of possible colors, and Windows Classic buttons--(I also have tried
Windows xp-STYLE buttons, and observe no change).  I have no screen
saver, and just the Bliss desktop theme in "Stretch" mode.

Anyone have any ideas?  It's just annoying to always have to hit
ALT+TAB or INS+F6 all the time to return to the desktop.

Thanks in advance,

-Kane
Alternative archives located at: