PHPBB2 Forum Software

  • From: David Shakun <dshakun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 13:57:42 -0700 (PDT)

James,

I appreciate the information about PHPBB2.  I have
considered it.  However, the CTO of the web host I use
(futurequest.net) has posted in one of their forums:

"YaBB and phpBB are not server friendly for large
forums...

Some of the queries they throw at the MySQL engines
can be eye opening, and are frequent visitors in our
MySQL Slow Logs...

...many small forums do grow up into large forums...
The site owner gets so entrenched in their existing
(heavy resource) forums, that they find it either
extremely painful or impossible to convert to a more
industrial strength forum...

The question you have to ask yourself is, 'Would I be
willing to switch to another forum, when the time
comes, in spite of the uproar/backlash that may
emanate from your frequent forum members?' "

I know the CTO refers to PHPBB -- perhaps PHPBB2 has
improved in server performance.

David Shakun