Re: PC's without serial ports

  • From: "E.J. Zufelt" <everett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 06:47:57 -0300

Cal,

Take what I am about to say worth a grain of salt.

I used to provide support for notebook computers (same principal would apply to
a desktop).  Many of our computers lacked a serial port, but people with older
PDAs, that only synched through a serial port would try a USB to Serial adapter.

The problem with a USB to Serial adapter, in many cases, is that it doesn't
actually create a serial controller.  Rather, it provides a method for a serial
signal to reach the computer through the USB bus.

I say that, to say this.  a PCMCIA, or PCI serial card probably would work, as
I imagine that it would actually have a serial port controller that would be
recognized by the computer, as opposed to providing an alternate path for the
serial data to reach the computer.

HTH,
Everett