Re: Norton System Works 2004

  • From: Kane & Danika Brolin <decorium@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 12:29:53 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

To Dan and List:=20

I'm not sure about NSW 2004, but I do use NSW 2003 successfully with JFW.  =
I've found it to be a lot more accessible than earlier versions of the Nort=
on product, in which I often had to use the JAWS cursor even to get a parti=
al readout of what was on the screen. =20

Unlike older versions of SystemWorks (such as 2.0), NSW 2003/04 looks like =
a Web interface.  The Virtual JAWS Cursor works quite well with NSW menus, =
and it is now quite easy to start, stop, and update Norton Antivirus and ot=
her programs with JAWS.  This is important, since a lot of Windows programs=
 such as Scandisk and a few JAWS functions (such as Authorization Manager) =
work a lot better when Norton Antivirus is inactive. =20

That having been said, I have to put in the disclaimer that Norton SystemWo=
rks can cause major havoc and even permanent damage to Windows--with or wit=
hout JAWS--if certain components are installed, and especially if you try t=
o install a new version of SystemWorks on top of an older one without unins=
talling the old version completely.  I now avoid Norton Utilities as if it =
were the Plague, having found that a fully installed Norton SystemWorks and=
 JFW operating simultaneously can drain the resources of an older PC to the=
 point where it crashes continually.  At this time the only SystemWorks app=
lication I use on any of my systems is Antivirus, and that by itself works =
quite nicely.  If you want a system optimization utility that is accessible=
 and efficient, try Iolo Technologies' System Mechanic (either Version 3 or=
 Version 4).  I don't hear much chatter about this on the Net, but have dis=
covered the program for myself and find it works wonderfully when I want it=
 to and stays out of the way when I don't.  Go to:  http://www.iolo.com=20

I know this monologue about system utilities is a bit off-topic, but the su=
bject is very close to my heart because I just spent several weeks complete=
ly re-formatting and re-optimizing a system whose software was ruined compl=
etely because of damage caused by Norton SystemWorks.  So please write me o=
ff-list if you have general questions or concerns about this product for yo=
urself.=20

-Kane