RE: Need video card suggestions.

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 09:29:29 -0400

Before you give up on any particular video card, have you tried:

1)  trying different resolutions and different color depth settings
(jaws seems to be very sensative to changes in these, for no apparent
reason).
2) removing any ATI utilities that run at startup (they're in the run
portion of your registry, I edit it directly, but differing versions of
windows give you different ways of editing these items via a program; I
wish I could remember what it is for windows xp, which I'm guessing
you're running, but someone here will help me out with it I'm sure); in
any case, disable *anything* that begins with "ati" in its name, you
don't really need it, and see if that helps.

3) If you have any utility installed from the manufacturer that allows
them to help you remotely (some sort of remote desktop product), this
will need to run a video interceptor utility so they can see whats on
your screen; see if you can track this down and disable it.

My point is only that there are lots of things that could be causing
jaws a problem besides the model of video card.

Chip

=20