RE: Narrator for Non-XP OS?

  • From: "Pickrell, Rebecca M." <rebecca.pickrell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 08:19:17 -0700

No, it doesn't.  I'm sorry.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jfw-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 11:12 AM
To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Narrator for Non-XP OS?

Hi, folks.

I've been  involved in a long-running project to restore the functionality of a
5-year-old Pentium II desktop.  Right now, it's running the Windows 98 Second
Edition operating system, with JFW 5.0.  (At this time I have not loaded the
latest upgrade patch, it's just installed from the original 5.0 CD.)

Anyway, I've run into a problem with the mouse and video display drivers that
is temporarily making JAWS non-functional.  I'm going to have to extract and
reinstall a particular DLL file with the Windows operating system active.  I
know how to do this, so there should be no problem; but I'd really love it if
this simple process would talk in spite of JFW's not being there.

If this were on one of my XP machines, I could make simple voice output happen
using Narrator; this has saved my tail several times when XP machines have come
down with video intercept errors.  But I don't know of any streamlined
Narrator-like accessibility aid for older operating systems such as Win98 or
ME.

Does such a tool exist?

Sincerely,

-Kane