Re: Narrator

  • From: "rafrost" <robini71@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 13:19:46 -0400

Hi,
I can completely empathize with your plight and express gratitude to the one
who drew my attention to your message.
I bet if you enter on the speech portion of control panel you get an error
message too.  I just had this problem over the Summer myself and thanks to
some wonderfully helpful friends I found the answer.  What you need to do is
search for the "userlexicon" file of course without the quotes.    When in
the search results list view hit delete key on it and it'll ask you if
you're sure you want to vanquish it.  Say yes. What you'll notice is that at
first it'll look like it's gone but then it'll seem to reappear.  Don't
worry about this.  After you've deleted it empty your recycle bin and
reboot.  Then launch narrator with windows key and u and see if it runs.  I
myself had to employ the fix twice before it actually worked.  I also found
it easier to use the windows search feature to find the user lexicon file
rather than trying to navigate to it via windows explorer but that's just
me.  I'll paste the official information regarding this problem below for
your information.   I know how maddening this problem can be so I hope this
fix works for you.  Once it's fixed you'll no longer have any errors in the
speech portion of control panel either.
Hope this helps.
Robin

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;838659
FIX: Speech engines do not work and you receive an error message when you
open Speech Control Panel
View products that this article applies to.

SUMMARY

When you use speech engines to do recognition or synthesis, you can save the
CurrentUserLexicon file on your local hard disk to store additional words.
Sometimes, the CurrentUserLexicon file can become corrupted. When this
happens, the speech recognition (SR) engine and the text-to-speech (TTS)
engine
do not work. This article describes possible causes and fixes the problem
with a hotfix file.

SYMPTOMS
The speech recognition (SR) engine and the text-to-speech (TTS) engine do
not work in any applications. When you open Speech Control Panel, you may
receive
the following message:
The requested task cannot be carried out because the necessary speech engine
could not be created. Please select a different engine and/or a different
audio
device.

CAUSE
Currently, the specific cause of the problem is not known. However, the
following are possible causes:
List of 3 items
 An incorrectly configured audio device
 A corrupted recording profile
 A corrupted user lexicon database (CurrentUserLexicon)
list end
To determine whether CurrentUserLexicon is corrupted, use a hexadecimal
editor to open the .dat file that is located in the following folder:

\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application
Data\Microsoft\Speech\Files\UserLexicons
If the file contains only 0x00 byte values and contains no other data
values, the user lexicon database has likely been corrupted.

WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, delete the corrupted user lexicon file. The
system then re-creates an empty version of the file. After this, the SR
engine
and the TTS engine can function.

Note If you delete the user lexicon file, you lose any user-specific
vocabulary that was previously added.

To delete the user lexicon file, delete the following folder:

\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application
Data\Microsoft\Speech\Files\UserLexicons

RESOLUTION
A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended
to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to
systems
that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive
additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this
problem, Microsoft
recommends that you wait for the next service pack that contains this
hotfix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support
Services to obtain the hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product
Support Services
phone numbers and information about support costs, visit the following
Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];CNTACTMS
Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for support
calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional determines that a
specific
update will resolve your problem. The usual support costs will apply to
additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for the specific
update
in question.

The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later) that
are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are
listed
in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it
is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local
time,
use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.
Date         Time   Version     Size     File name
09-Mar-2004  22:26  6.0.1518.0  696,320  Sapi.dll

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft products that
are listed in the "Applies to" section of this article.

List of 3 items
 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
 Microsoft Windows XP Professional
 Microsoft Speech Software Development Kit (SDK) 5.1
list end